Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
s2000db

I've got a CD upgrade opportunity

35 posts in this topic

Hi guys, for reasons that I won't go into:?, I've been offered an upgrade of my CDP, the choice around £1k that I've got to choose from is Arcam, Cyrus, Denon. Marantz, MF, and Roksan Caspian.

What are your thoughts please? Thanks

s2000db wrote:

Hi guys, for reasons that I won't go into:?, I've been offered an upgrade of my CDP, the choice around £1k that I've got to choose from is Arcam, Cyrus, Denon. Marantz, MF, and Roksan Caspian.

Arcam MF or even Denon would be my short list

Is that the only choice? i ask as id steer you towards the cdp i bought, i had the MF X Ray v3, and the A3.2, and they are both good cdp's, but the Eastern wees on them. There was a letter in HFW from a guy who tried MF A3.5 and A5, plus a Meridian, and something else, a Naim or Linnmaybe, and he chose the Eastern, saying it was the closest you can get to the red book thing.

Having said that, if that list is your only option, i would go for MF, as you should be able to get something at a discount price now.

icehockeyboy wrote:

Is that the only choice? i ask as id steer you towards the cdp i bought, i had the MF X Ray v3, and the A3.2, and they are both good cdp's, but the Eastern wees on them. There was a letter in HFW from a guy who tried MF A3.5 and A5, plus a Meridian, and something else, a Naim or Linnmaybe, and he chose the Eastern, saying it was the closest you can get to the red book thing.

Having said that, if that list is your only option, i would go for MF, as you should be able to get something at a discount price now.

:gag:re the Minimax.

How about that Audionet V2 in the classifieds section if you can slightly stretch your budget? Superbly built, german engineering and superb performance.

s2000db wrote:

<shameless plug mode on>

If you're willing to go second hand you can trash all of those with one of these:

http://www.hifiwigwam.com/view_topic.php?id=10132&forum_id=5

<shameless plug mode off>

From the few times I've heard them I think the Cyrus and MF players are quite close to each other sonically- not the same but have similar characteristics. I'm not a fan of either of them so I wouldn't recommend them.

I quite like Denon, used their DVD2900 as a substitute cd player for a while and could quite happily have lived with it for longer, so I would go for the Denon.

s2000db wrote:

Curious which model of Marantz?

technobear wrote:

s2000db wrote:

<shameless plug mode on>

If you're willing to go second hand you can trash all of those with one of these:

http://www.hifiwigwam.com/view_topic.php?id=10132&forum_id=5

<shameless plug mode off>

The audionet really is a cracking spinner, having just bought one a couple of weeks ago for a little more then one in the classifieds:(... I also have a Classe CDP 10 which is very good too... very different to the Audionet much warmer and softer sounding with better texture. Both are excellent... but I've got to choose one and sell the other and I'm going to keep the V2... depending on your partnering equipment and personal taste... you might prefer the Classe but either of the players wouldn't disappoint... Also seen a Wadia 830 for that money too...

Unfortunately, I have to stick with the brands listed, as my dealer is currently being very accomodating with me...

Looks like the Marantz will have to be deleted as they don't stock any thing between £429 and £1999.

So that narrows it down a bit - any views on the MF X-rayv8 vs the A3.5?

Cheers DB

Out of those I'd say Arcam or MF.

Personally do NOT rate Caspian electronics: harsh & grainy (a cliched "transistor" sound if ever there was one) & not at all pleasant; boogies along well enough, but so do the Arcam FMJ & the X-Ray...

Shame no Naim or Rega or Expo...

Boxer

Cyrus CD8x is a nice player, albeit a little lean soundingand lacking in prescence. I have also heard the Marantz SA-11 which was quite bright sounding and the Arcam CD93 which was quite smooth sounding.

the caspian m series should not be overlooked it is imho a smooth and detailed player but one mans meat etc. listen to all players on your list if you can, then ask for a home demo of maybe two of players you have shortlisted.alex.