barnacle bill

Sick of 'Hi-Fi' shit, let's talk musicality...

72 posts in this topic

It's the HiFi wigwam, some do get vehement about what they like and more power to them. if you want some run of the mill, middle of the road, listen to the same track ad infinitum at a bake off, unopinionated, boring as fuck forum then fuck off elsewhere. It might be trickey for you to get to a bake off from Holland, but these events are where the true spirit of the Wam lies and this forum is an alter ego for many. You might also find that lecturing wammers about appreciation of music will leave you looking like a right twat, suggest you get to know some on here before teaching them to suck eggs! Enjoy:)

Most audiophiles would not know musical from shit.Just listen to the vast majority of "audiophile recordings."And then there is the mob wanting grandiose sonic fireworks-Dire Straights Brothers in Bloody Arms type studio contrivances.Or worse still Casandra Wilson/Patricia Barber/Jennifer Warnes with all that processed bass.And that Chesky plinky plonk rubbish.

They are in to listening at their hi fi system not to the music.

The double bass on Patsy Barber records is some of the best recorded and natural sounding that I've ever heard. :doh:

I wish my bass sounded that good. Then again, I wish I could play like Michael Arnopol who is on most Barber recordings.. :)

Back to the OP

I have a few PS1's, a couple I have modded as per the Dogbreath site. The 1001 with the audio outs is good, but better in modded form. I picked mine up for a £Fiver each.

I reckon there is a point buried in all this...that music from our equipment is an illusion...a sort of conjuring trick where the brain fools itself into believing. And it follows that whatever 'stuff' achieves the illusion is 'right.' Doesn't matter if it is a £100,000 Krell system (ha!) or a tea chest with a speaker in it; if it hits the spot for you, then it is doing its business.Mind you, having been all 'liberal', I have to spoil it by pointing out that only vinyl can do this........

I happen to think the guitar playing on the track "Brothers in arms" is superb, that you don't get it your loss,about the only form of music that passes me by is C&W.

I have a pretty diverse record collection from Adele to Zappa , sweeping generalisations are just that.

You are confusing music and sound but this has nothing to do with the artistic merit of "Brothers in arms", just the way it was recorded and produced.

Cheers,

Ric

What tripe.

That was the point. Hence the "but seriously" afterwards.

I honestly can't believe that ANYONE on this forum buys kit just to listen to a few audiophile CDs. We're all in it for the music.

Sure, such people probably exist, after all there are people with vastly expensive kitchens who only use the microwave, or buy a diver's watch and never swim with it, etc... But those kinds of people will never visit a hifi forum, so why bother wasting time talking about them?

It's the HiFi wigwam, some do get vehement about what they like and more power to them. if you want some run of the mill, middle of the road, listen to the same track ad infinitum at a bake off, unopinionated, boring as fuck forum then fuck off elsewhere. It might be trickey for you to get to a bake off from Holland, but these events are where the true spirit of the Wam lies and this forum is an alter ego for many. You might also find that lecturing wammers about appreciation of music will leave you looking like a right twat, suggest you get to know some on here before teaching them to suck eggs! Enjoy:)

...interesting... I was reacting to THOMO's post, for the reasons I stated at the start of this post.

I am, however, vehement in my opinion that playing music yourself and listening to live concerts is an essential part of the musical education. Without it, you can enjoy the sound but you will potentially fail to appreciate the technical abilities of the artists involved (although admittedly this does make it harder to appreciate processed top 40 crap). In no way does this statement count as a lecture, just an opinion.

What i will start with and you will probably ridicule with my musical piece is the Sony Playstation 1. Okay, yes, fuck me, but i love this kit and it trounce's every (well that is a statement i cant back up) budget CDP on the market blah, blah, yea, yea, heard it before, shite. Truly though for a tenner (and for sure it's copped up before) you can't beat it.

I had a PS1 with the phono outputs when they first were released.. At the time it wasn't a mythical audiophile CD player , it was a games console.

As I'm a curious person, I decided to test it out playing music CDs against my then current CD players: Musical Fidelity Elektra E series and Arcam Alpha 8CD.

Let me put it this way, comments stating that the PS1 is anything but a games console make me giggle.

Okay, i don't want to get in to technical bullshit though i could via wiki-bollock's talk...

But i do want to talk about un-aldulterateded musical pleasure and how you get it..

It could be some high end vinyl solution or a Sonos via your Mac; i'm not interested in the crap tech shite, just what floats your boat..

What i will start with and you will probably ridicule with my musical piece is the Sony Playstation 1. Okay, yes, fuck me, but i love this kit and it trounce's every (well that is a statement i cant back up) budget CDP on the market blah, blah, yea, yea, heard it before, shite. Truly though for a tenner (and for sure it's copped up before) you can't beat it.

Over to you ......

You may or may not have got yourself a bargain but if you want a really musical front end then I suggest you get to hear a really good CD/DAC or turntable against the SP1. If you can do that at a bakeoff against the Sony then great. I have found people are normally polite but honest and be prepared for a it is OK but ......

For me the better sound quality is from vinyl and then all forms of digital (SACD,hi-rez,CD,MP3). Depending on your budget I would be tempted to try some really nice digital for best value.

Without knowing the rest of your system it is difficult to say...... go for a Wadia, ARC...for your Krell 900 monoblocks, Wilson Alexandrias......or a Musical Fidelity V-DAC to go with your Karan 180, Harbeth HL5...or

for a tenner i am going to try one , if you sem one for sle pleas pm me i would love to give one a good.

lowendall

I picked mine up off e-bay, boxed up with Jona Lomu Rugga game thrown in for free but i have spotted them at car boot sales, they're pretty common but you do need the unit with analog out's model no. SCPH 1001.

If i spot one i'll give you a shout.

I used the Sony as my musical piece as it really does give me musical pleasure listening too it. Yes, it's not highly detailed but so what, instrument separation can be bettered, but is that better? What it does is get me involved in the music like no budget CDP has done that ive' heard, they all seem a bit thin, washed out and analytical for my liking and definitely prefer it over some high end CPS i've had the pleasure (or not) of hearing..

My system has gone through a few box changes over the years but this little box still sit's their spinning disc's, for the very small outlay, for me it's a great little machine and i can't see it going anywhere soon; it still get's my foot tapping...

Back to the OP

I have a few PS1's, a couple I have modded as per the Dogbreath site. The 1001 with the audio outs is good, but better in modded form. I picked mine up for a £Fiver each.

The 1001 is the one i have and read about the mod's, would you say that a totally useless twat like me could do them, i'm not particularly steady handed..

Also i think but could be wrong that the laser needs to be realigned as it skips on the first track for 30 seconds or so on payback, or could it be something else..

I reckon there is a point buried in all this...that music from our equipment is an illusion...a sort of conjuring trick where the brain fools itself into believing. And it follows that whatever 'stuff' achieves the illusion is 'right.' Doesn't matter if it is a £100,000 Krell system (ha!) or a tea chest with a speaker in it; if it hits the spot for you, then it is doing its business.Mind you, having been all 'liberal', I have to spoil it by pointing out that only vinyl can do this........

Go and buy Willie Nelson-American Classic on CD.

Then tell me you can't get musical out of CD.

You do need the the right CD player or DAC though.I recently bought an expensive but used Esoteric DV 50 Universal Player and could not get music out of it even with SACD.This was a Stereophile A+ reviewed item.Same goes for any Sony ES player I have heard.They kill the life and soul out of music.Very Hi Fi sounding but zero musicality.

Many cheap CD players sound much better.The 16 year old Sony 715 is especially good and you can buy them second hand for very little.

I recently bought an expensive but used Esoteric DV 50 Universal Player and could not get music out of it even with SACD

Is it broken? :P