In the wake of restoring approx 250,000 unstructured posts (having remote URL images) since forum migration, rebuilding of forum content followed by search indexing is currently under process. During this process (which may take 1-2 days to complete), the search function may not work properly. We apologize for the inconvenience. Alternatively, you may use Google search; for eg: amplifier site:hifiwigwam.com/forum/

Fatmarley

Films to be avoided

274 posts in this topic

I've watched so many crap films lately, and as a consequence feel i've unnecessarily wasted my life on them. To save wasting more of my, and others lives I thought a list of film to avoid may be a good idea. I realise that it's subjective and that people on forums seem to enjoy disagreeing rather than agreeing, but it's got to be worth a try.

Sherlock Holmes:

I found Robert downey jrs accent really annoying and his relashionship with Watson (Jude Law) equally annoying.

Precious:

Some young fat bird is pregnant with her second child and has a shit, boring life. Not much better than Channel fours 'Big Brother'... Utter boring crap.

Napoleon dynamite:

Some young lad has a shit, boring life. Equally boring film.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind:

Some guy has a shit, boring life - BUT, he meets a bird, falls in love and then when it all goes shit, she gets him erased from her mind by some clever doctor and he does the same.
I thought the story was a good idea, but the film was boring.

FILMS NOT TO BE AVOIDED YOU MAY NOT KNOW:

The Passenger (Antonioni)
The Bicycle Thieves (De Sica)
Once Upon a Time in the West (Leone)
Don't Look Now (Roeg)
Kiss Me Deadly (Aldrich)
Amarcord (Fellini)
Battle of Algiers (Pontecorvo)
Baaria (Tornatore)
Gone to Earth (Powell)
Suspiria (Argento)

And there are many more - "the beautiful fraud" - Goddard

[quote name='Fatmarley']I've watched so many crap films lately, and as a consequence feel i've unnecessarily wasted my life on them. To save wasting more of my, and others lives I thought a list of film to avoid may be a good idea. I realise that it's subjective and that people on forums seem to enjoy disagreeing rather than agreeing, but it's got to be worth a try.

[B]Sherlock Holmes:
[/B]
I found Robert downey jrs accent really annoying and his relashionship with Watson (Jude Law) equally annoying.

Precious:

Some young fat bird is pregnant with her second child and has a shit, boring life. Not much better than Channel fours 'Big Brother'... Utter boring crap.

[B]Napoleon dynamite:

[/B]Some young lad has a shit, boring life. Equally boring film.

[B]Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind:

[/B]Some guy has a shit, boring life - BUT, he meets a bird, falls in love and then when it all goes shit, she gets him erased from her mind by some clever doctor and he does the same.
I thought the story was a good idea, but the film was boring.[/QUOTE]

I've seen three of the above (in bold) and quite liked them. There's no accounting for taste is there?

[quote name='Jezzer']I've seen three of the above (in bold) and quite liked them. There's no accounting for taste is there?[/QUOTE]

You may like Precious then.

Just thought of another couple of (old) films I saw recently but didn't like.

A Boy and His Dog and Dark Star.

[quote name='Marthas dad']FILMS NOT TO BE AVOIDED YOU MAY NOT KNOW:

The Passenger (Antonioni)
The Bicycle Thieves (De Sica)
Once Upon a Time in the West (Leone)
Don't Look Now (Roeg)
Kiss Me Deadly (Aldrich)
Amarcord (Fellini)
Battle of Algiers (Pontecorvo)
Baaria (Tornatore)
Gone to Earth (Powell)
Suspiria (Argento)

And there are many more - "the beautiful fraud" - Goddard[/QUOTE]

I haven't seen or even heard of any of these films.

[quote name='Jezzer']Dark Star is awesome! :D[/QUOTE]
Jezzer is right.
Saw the new Harry Potter DVD the other day and fell asleep withing 20 minutes or so. The rest of the family pronounced it "quite good" and "alright".

Don't Look Now is an all-time great. I don't think I've seen Donald Sutherland or Julie Christie in anything better. Roeg did Walkabout too, and Jenny Agutter was stunning (not hard for her, but even so..).

Tastes are indeed different. I loved Sherlock Holmes and thought the chemistry between Holmes and Watson was brilliant.

Well Jez and I rather disagree on Black Swan (:P), which I hated, but I definitely agree on Dark Star. Once Upon a Time in the West is an absolute classic. Long, violent in places, but a superb bit of cinema with an incredible score too.