DCS

CD Player

14 posts in this topic

A shot in the dark here but I'm in the market for a CD player. I have just changed direction from SS to Valve's, SS kit for sale soon.

If you had a budget of £500 ish for a CD player second hand what would you recommend based on what you have owned or heard.

Music taste is varied but would prefer something that has grip on the bottom end, clear vocals and not too harsh on the top end.

£500? Cairn fog 2 sound very musical but not sure how much does it goes for now a day, Stello DA100 with some kind of cheap-ish Transport also very good but rare 2nd hand, Linn Genki can keep timing very well and has good details, Cyrus CD7Q (the Q bit is quite important) did rock very well, Musical Fidelity A5 also a bargain for 2nd hand buy.

Any of Arcam's FMJ series. Or another option could be to look into the Arcam rDAC (£300) and a nice transport. Very pleased with mine and don't find it bright or harsh at all.

The only problem I have with it is the severe addiction to music and listening that it can cause - too many late nights enjoying tunes :^

Bloody obvious - Rega Saturn :)

+ 1

Quad cdp2

First recommendation I've seen for this since being here, these trendy basts never mention it when you see these 'cd player £500' threads. :P

1. Rega Saturn

2. Austin Trew

3. UR (hardly at that price, otherwise the Unico Primmo will top the chart)

4. Get the best DAC for the money (that's probably the best choice - see the recent and lengthy DAC shoot out on PFM)

5. Whatever your ears tell you is best

Good luck:^