In the wake of restoring approx 250,000 garbled posts (having remote URL images) since forum migration, rebuilding of forum content followed by search indexing is currently under process. During this process (which may take 1-2 days to complete), the search function may not work properly. We apologize for the inconvenience. Alternatively, you may use Google search; for eg: amplifier site:hifiwigwam.com/forum/

twelvebears

Skoda Superb - Don't laugh until you've tried one.....

46 posts in this topic

Interesting thread...

I'm looking for a replacement for my BMW 3 Touring because we now have a baby and it's just not big enough.
I took a 170bhp diesel estate Superb Elegance (DSG) for a test drive on Monday and thought it was a very good car indeed. It was the dealer's car and FULLY loaded.

A big plus point for the Skoda is that when you start to look through the extras lists (eg. bigger alloys, parking assist, xenons) the prices tend to be less than the Audis, Mercs and BMW's . It componds the "better value" of the Skoda.

The Skoda has 600+ litres of boot pace. It's feckin' huge.

Just bear in mind that while you pay less for the Skoda up front, you'll get less for it when it's time to trade-in. The other marques would have retained quite a bit more of their value.

Is there much difference between this and the Octavia ? have an Octavia estate arriving in a few weeks as new company car.

[quote name='diceman']A friend bought one a few months back and it is remarkably nice.

He is a cabby & clocked up 300K miles on his previous Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDI. Be interesting to see how his new one fairs after the miles.[/QUOTE]

Yeah and how many dual mass flywheels, clutches, injectors and turbos will he have bought in that time? No modern diesel does much over 70k without massivo repair bills and taxis will fail long before that. Nothing against the Skoda, this applies to any brand but the days of old car doing starship mileages with mainly original parts are long gone.

[quote name='Injector']Yeah and how many dual mass flywheels, clutches, injectors and turbos will he have bought in that time? No modern diesel does much over 70k without massivo repair bills and taxis will fail long before that. Nothing against the Skoda, this applies to any brand but the days of old car doing starship mileages with mainly original parts are long gone.[/QUOTE]

Really?

I've never had a car with less than 70k on the clock, and most have done considerably more. Massivo repair bills? :nup:

[quote name='Injector']Yeah and how many dual mass flywheels, clutches, injectors and turbos will he have bought in that time? No modern diesel does much over 70k without massivo repair bills and taxis will fail long before that. Nothing against the Skoda, this applies to any brand but the days of old car doing starship mileages with mainly original parts are long gone.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but haven't you owned a few Land Rover Discovery/Defender type vehicles?

[quote name='Pete the Feet']Yeah, but haven't you owned a few Land Rover Discovery/Defender type vehicles?[/QUOTE]

I have indeed. When reading about cars that have travelled around the clock several times, people can falsely believe that the only work done to them has been oil changes, brake pads and the odd timing belt or clutch. In reality many of these modern diesel vehicles will have had umpteen thousand pounds spent on replacement parts. That goes for Land Rovers more than anything else!

[COLOR="silver"][SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[quote name='bandit pilot']Really?

I've never had a car with less than 70k on the clock, and most have done considerably more. Massivo repair bills? :nup:[/QUOTE]

Have these been modern turbo diesels with a DMF?

Yeah, you're right about peoples exagerated conceptions og running costs. They usually conveniently forget most items like brake discs, clutches, timing belts, ECU, catalytic convertors, DPF and other minor! issues.

On the other hand that bloody petrol Vectra I just got shut of, I'll never forget the money that cost me. Much less than 70,000 miles also.

Has anyone tried the current Citroen C5 variants yet?

If you could find a sub 100K mile Lexus LS400 Ser 4 though.....still wonderful.

I like the typo earlier about car being 'hansom', as in Hansom cab?

Tried 2 petrol variants today, 1.8TSi manual & a 2.0TSi DSG.

Both of them would be worthy but the 1.8TSi was a saloon with a very clever tailgate/boot, the other was an estate, I'm torn between them at the moment so will need to have a think over the next few days.

On pure looks it would be the estate but the saloon boot trick was simply brilliant.

P/X was slightly less than others offered so will work on that to get a good deal hopefully.

I have found my new car it seems.

Injector,
I've driven mainly TD's for the past 10 or more years, most have done 150+k by the time i've got shot of them. In all that time I've replaced 1 clutch and 1 turbo (although the notorious VW chocolate water pump did mean a new head gasket on one as well). Most issues have been fixed by proper maintenance of fluids and filters and a decent mechanic who knows what sensor can cause what issue.
Petrols, diesels and hybrids/electricals are suited to different types of driving.
Petrols for mainly b roads / medium distances.
Diesels for mainly motorways / long distances.
'leccys for mainly city / short journeys.

Buy something suited to your journey profile and it'll last the miles... horses for courses.

[quote name='julian2002']Injector,
I've driven mainly TD's for the past 10 or more years, most have done 150+k by the time i've got shot of them. In all that time I've replaced 1 clutch and 1 turbo (although the notorious VW chocolate water pump did mean a new head gasket on one as well). Most issues have been fixed by proper maintenance of fluids and filters and a decent mechanic who knows what sensor can cause what issue.
Petrols, diesels and hybrids/electricals are suited to different types of driving.
Petrols for mainly b roads / medium distances.
Diesels for mainly motorways / long distances.
'leccys for mainly city / short journeys.

Buy something suited to your journey profile and it'll last the miles... horses for courses.[/QUOTE]

Yeah Julian, I've had some high milers in my time but I'm talking specifically about very modern diesels. DMF, injectors and turbos - not to mention every sensor under the sun - seem to go well before you think they should. My dad has had the DMF go on TWO of his previous BMWs and they both had less than 30k on the clock. Sure it was handled under warranty but what about the next time? I've had a DMF go on a Ford and I've had a turbo go on a Peugeot. Of course if you buy new and keep for three years, then unless you're my dad you should be fine. I wouldn't entertain a used diesel over five years old or with more than 60k on the clock anymore when in the past they were a rock solid purchase. They could turn out to be an absolute moneypit. Petrol all the way if buying high milers.:^

That was my first question to him, I was expecting it to be like trigger's broom. He had 1 clutch & dual mass flywheel changed. Original turbo and no non maintenance items! He had started driving it liek miss daisy for the last 50K miles until the Suberb arrived.

I caught up with him at the weekend, the Suburp (as he calls it as his mrs is Sue!) has just had to have a complete top end rebuild at a cost of around £2.5K after around 80K miles.