• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Bazzer

Twitchers Thread

4,248 posts in this topic

Western Orphean Warbler at Hartlepool Headland yesterday! Following on from last years White Throated Robin, another "mega" for Durham!

What's next? Conditions look really good for rare migrants at the moment, if we get some rain, as forecast today, who knows what might turn up.

Did ya see it Jimibird?

Googled a picture, in case one shows up in the garden :)western-orphean-warbler-sylvia-hortensis-2by-nikhil-devasar.jpg

Geoff, I will be happy when I get an image this good but Im miles away from that at the moment.

I reckon you're pretty close Andy, I'm not a photographer myself, I'm a member of BirdForum and pick out some of the best photos to post on here. Your male Reed Bunting (below) is very ,very good.

7163960287_54bab505a5_c.jpg

I reckon you're pretty close Andy, I'm not a photographer myself, I'm a member of BirdForum and pick out some of the best photos to post on here. Your male Reed Bunting very ,very good.

+1, what is the warbler after it ?

Sedge Barney

- - - Updated - - -

Sedge Barney

Hahaha beaten to it :)

cheers gents - Its a sedge warbler.

thanks , whats it doing on an apple tree :?:)

I found one in a grass tussock on the beach, a couple of years ago!

It isn't unusual to see them in trees and bushes, particularly at this time of the year, when they are still singing

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Barn - I'm two weeks away from my First Birding Anniversary still enjoying it a lot - My bird count is up to 120.

My current topic is learning more about bird songs - I have a couple of CDs for the car on songs. That caught Mrs ADPully out when she borrowed my car. She couldn't see a bird and was worried it was going to mess on my seats. It was quite a while before she twigged.

Glad to hear you are enjoying your new hobby! The first couple of hundred are relatively straightforward, 200-300 it gets progressively harder and 400+ , well, you can imagine. The "big listers" i.e. over 500 need to twitch every new bird, just to keep up with their rivals. It's not for me, I don't even keep a list anymore, even though I have probably seen 3k+ in various parts of the world.

Male and female Kestrels. (Not my photos) Camera details canon 7D 600mm f4 1.4x tc

IMG_3703_1300.jpg

IMG_3836_1300.jpg

That male Kestrel pic is astonishing.

I found one in a grass tussock on the beach, a couple of years ago!

It isn't unusual to see them in trees and bushes, particularly at this time of the year, when they are still singing

- - - Updated - - -

Glad to hear you are enjoying your new hobby! The first couple of hundred are relatively straightforward, 200-300 it gets progressively harder and 400+ , well, you can imagine. The "big listers" i.e. over 500 need to twitch every new bird, just to keep up with their rivals. It's not for me, I don't even keep a list anymore, even though I have probably seen 3k+ in various parts of the world.

I have been in the game for 16+ years now, twitched a bit but not really very hard . I am only on 396. I do wonder if 400 will ever come!

Did you come to Hartlepool for the Orphean, you MUST need that?

Black-headed gull with food, a Common Tern chick. (Not my photo) Camera details Canon 7D + Canon 400mm f5,6

IMG_7220a.jpg

Did you come to Hartlepool for the Orphean, you MUST need that?

No, as I have a baby Norfolk and Suffolk is my limit. I did need it! Kids dont help the twitching. Wait till he is older, he can travel the country and carry the scope!

Juvenile Peregrine Falcon. (Not my photo) Camera details Canon 300mm +1.4x TC

PEREGRINE-JUV-7.jpg

Short-eared owl. (Not my photo) Camera details Canon 300mm +1.4tc

short-eared-owl-20_06_12.jpg

Thanks for posting up these pics Geoff - they are a constant source of wonder in both subject and technique. :^