Bazzer

Twitchers Thread

4,345 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, tkimages said:

Never even considered it as the 1D4 is my goto wildlife/sports camera due to its 1.3x sensor factor.  I suppose the 30mp of the 5D4 vs 16mp of the 1D4 would have made up for that.  The 10 fps of the 1D4 exceeds that of the 5D4 so may have come in handy.  Next time out I'll use 5D4 and see how it compares.

It'll be interesting to see what you think after using it for birds/wildlife. I have read a lot of good things about the AF on the 5D4. The high iso is also supposed to be at least equal to the 1DX too. 

2 hours ago, Lefty said:

+1 absolutely superb Tillman

Also, I didn't realise you've got yourself a 5D4. Very nice indeed! How does it compare to your old 5D2? I have recently been having thoughts about getting a second hand 5d2 because they are so reasonably priced these days...

Lefty

I've only had it a couple of days and taken about 20 photos with it, six of them being of my 5D2 as it's going up for sale.  The 5D4 file size is enormous, so processing is a bit slower.  It's supposed to have superior focussing to the 5D2, but I never found that aspect of the camera wanting.  Image quality looks great, but it is probably limited by my 24-105L lens. Low light image quality is better, but yet to be verified by me.  As I use it more and more I'm sure to find more differences to the 5D2.

8 hours ago, tkimages said:

I've only had it a couple of days and taken about 20 photos with it, six of them being of my 5D2 as it's going up for sale.  The 5D4 file size is enormous, so processing is a bit slower.  It's supposed to have superior focussing to the 5D2, but I never found that aspect of the camera wanting.  Image quality looks great, but it is probably limited by my 24-105L lens. Low light image quality is better, but yet to be verified by me.  As I use it more and more I'm sure to find more differences to the 5D2.

Thanks for the feedback Tillman - much appreciated.

The thing that would make / break the decision to get a 5D2 for me would be the dynamic range  (which I've heard is not great - Although on paper vs real experience are 2 different things) and ISO performance up to around ISO 2000. (I very rarely go beyond this). Although it's full frame, it's an older generation so interested in how its high ISO compares to my X-T2...

Lefty

2 hours ago, Lefty said:

Thanks for the feedback Tillman - much appreciated.

The thing that would make / break the decision to get a 5D2 for me would be the dynamic range  (which I've heard is not great - Although on paper vs real experience are 2 different things) and ISO performance up to around ISO 2000. (I very rarely go beyond this). Although it's full frame, it's an older generation so interested in how its high ISO compares to my X-T2...

Lefty

I never found the DR a problem, getting detail into highlights and shadows from raw files, under normal circumstances, wasn't difficult.  Obviously, harsh lit landscapes and Church interiors were a bit more problematic.  Being 'old school', ISO800 is high for me, but for school use I often used it at 1600 and then made A0 prints.

You always need to try a new camera before making any decisions.  After everyone on here going on about Fuji, they seemed the right camera for me to use for travel, so I borrowed one from a camera club member and couldn't get on with it at all and I wasn't impressed with its output - so saved me a costly mistake.

If you were local enough, you could borrow the 5D2 and a lens and try it to see if one would suit your needs.

30 minutes ago, tkimages said:

I never found the DR a problem, getting detail into highlights and shadows from raw files, under normal circumstances, wasn't difficult.  Obviously, harsh lit landscapes and Church interiors were a bit more problematic.  Being 'old school', ISO800 is high for me, but for school use I often used it at 1600 and then made A0 prints.

You always need to try a new camera before making any decisions.  After everyone on here going on about Fuji, they seemed the right camera for me to use for travel, so I borrowed one from a camera club member and couldn't get on with it at all and I wasn't impressed with its output - so saved me a costly mistake.

If you were local enough, you could borrow the 5D2 and a lens and try it to see if one would suit your needs.

Thanks Tillman - agreed re: needing to hold a camera in hand to really get an idea of whether or not it's for you. I did briefly try a 5D3 and really liked its handling. I'm hoping a 5D2 wouldn't be too dissimilar. The other thing that is of potential concern is the non 100% viewfinder, but I imagine in practice it's not such a big deal.

Could you PM With details of your 5D2 (shutter count, condition etc) as it may be of interest. 

Lefty

Just tried to PM you and it says "Lefty cannot receive messages"  I'll PM you via Flickr.

Thanks Tillman - strange that HFWW won't let me receive messages. I'll look into that...

Speak to you over on Flickr :)

Lefty

^^ Super catch Keith , we have some Little Egrets in the cow fields , they appeared last year and seem to have stuck around in small numbers. I can't get near them as they seem to stay in the middle and its fenced off.