Sheva

Moto GP

198 posts in this topic

Know one what? :dunno:How dare you insinuate that I have anything to do with Croydon. :off:

I thought we were in for a repeat today, as Lorenzo closed in on Stoner, and then Stoner simply pulled away at the end. Glad the arm business didn't interfere again.

Again desperately sad to see Rossi languishing down among the also-rans, even struggling to compete with the customer Ducati teams. The (Swiss) commentator mentioned a rumour that Rossi would return to Yamaha next year. Apparently Yamaha is having problems attracting sponsorship, but with Rossi back on board, he thought there's be no problems. Mind you, I wonder - the fire in Rossi may not have gone out completely, but it certainly seems to have dimmed.

:shock:http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/motogp/18108872

http://www.motogp.com/en/news/2012/Casey+retirement

That's a shame, but good luck to him. I was looking forward to him catching up on fellow Oz "Quick Mick" Doohan, but it is not to be. Here's hoping he goes out on a high with a third championship.

On the other hand...

http://www.motogp.com/en/news/2012/Rossi+plans+at+least+two+more+years+in+MotoGP

I only hope he doesn't hang around to become an embarrassment to himself, as per Mickey Shoes.

Top rider even tamed the Duke,a big miss to the sport,good luck in what ever you do Casey.

Just so.

It would be nice to see a great rider leaving in something other that the proverbial box.

Motor sport has lost too many greats.

Rgds

I've always had a soft spot for Stoner, I think he is a great rider and clearly loves his family - I wonder how much of this decision has been influenced by becoming a father and the sad incident where we lost Simoncelli near the end of last season. Of course he had one season badly impacted by illness, and now the arm pump problems - the sport has a major impact on the body and everyone taking part knows there is a heavy price being paid.

Good luck to him, sad for us to lose watching such a great and someone who I am sure would have gone on to win many more times, but respect for someone prepared to walk away while still at the top of his game - putting family and other priorities ahead of something which has clearly been a passion. You don't get to this level without a love for it.

Used to be really into the bike racing years ago but haven't watched it for a long time . The racing just isn't the same now ( just like formula 1 , it's been sanatised )

Be interesting to hear how you feel the current crop would fare against the past greats

Used to be really into the bike racing years ago but haven't watched it for a long time . The racing just isn't the same now ( just like formula 1 , it's been sanatised )

Be interesting to hear how you feel the current crop would fare against the past greats

I have no idea what you mean by 'sanitised' ..... if you mean that there have been (very necessary) improvements to safety to prevent the needless loss of life - then yes, but that doesn't make the sport less exciting. I personally don't want to see people hurt/killed/maimed. Last year when Simoncelli had his crash and sadly died, I felt low all week, everyone I know who is into the racing all felt that way.

Exciting racing is when good riders/drivers are closely matched and pushing the machines just that little bit over the limit, both MotoGP and F1 give us exciting racing these days. F1 is far better now than it was 10yrs ago IMO. Watching the MotoGP 'Aliens' take those beasts of machines and slide them over the limit, drifting around corners at serious speeds..... over 200 mph on a bike that will pitch and buck, massive talent and they do all that whilst often inches apart.

You declare that the racing isn't the same now ..... yet you also say that you haven't watched it for a long time - well, that is clear .... if you were watching it, you would see that the racing is good. Very good.

Discussions about current greats vs. past greats are IMO always pointless. The machines are very different. The challenges very different. Not less challenging, just different.

I have watched a few races or at least tried but quickly lost my interest .

Yes there has been leaps made in safety and that is a good thing .

But racing is racing . Only this week a speed way rider lost his life and it's a tragedy . But theyd be the first to admit its a risk they were willing to take .

But what I meant was compared to the era of spencer , lawson , Rainey , Schwantz Gardner etc . The racing today just doesn't match up . Not for excitement IMO of course .

It just seems the more technologically advanced the bikes get , the bikes get easier for more to ride.

Which makes me wonder how many of the present crop would fair back on a pre big bang 500

Also , curious to know ( and it's a genuine question ) what the safety improvements to prevent the loss if life have been ?

I would disagree with you to a degree about it being pointless comparing past and present though .

With a lot or sports maybe but with bike racing its a bike , rider and 2 very small contact patches connecting him to the road .

The challenge is the same . To finish and hopefully finish first .

Which makes me wonder how many of the present crop would fair back on a pre big bang 500

The 500s were pure evil (nearly 400hp/litre, with a power delivery from hell). I've also wondered how the current riders would cope on one of those ( not so well is my suspicion). You could argue, though, that the current MotoGP machines are more powerful and so present their own challenges, or if they're easier to ride, then they can get on with racing rather than fighting the machinery.

Then again, watching Rainey, Schwantz, Doohan, et al racing each other, while trying to hang on to something with the manners of an angry rhino was pretty spectacular. :D

Now THAT was a lot of fun, despite Lorenzo winning by a country mile. To see Rossi and Stoner mixing it again was great. Perhaps there really is life in the old dog. All we have to do is soak every track for the rest of the season...

Another great race, Cal really looked like he was going to get passed Stoner for a fair few laps.... looking forward to Silverstone when I shall be there watching it. :cool:

Certainly Casey was off the pace somewhat. One wonders whether he's half-hung up his helmet already.