steelhull

Devialet D-Premier

2,442 posts in this topic

Currently have one of these on home dem. Has anyone listened yet?

It is definitely good, I haven't yet decided how good. I started with iTunes on my Mac Mini through an MF USB/Sp/dif converter; NOT good. Then tried Amarra, again with the MF unit, again NOT good. Abandoned the MF unit.

So then went Mac Mini digital out-much improved. And finally (thanks to Keith at Purite) tried an M2tech. This began to produce really decent sounds. I would like to try AES/EBU but haven't solved that yet.

As I write I am listening to Beethoven 4 Piano concerto. It is good but I am not convinced about the bass. Lots of it but, I think, a bit jumbled. Lots more listening and then I must set up my own system again and listen to the same music.

Comments welcome, this is a totally different dervice, the first one for years that I have been able to walk into the house with, and carry it up the stairs without assistance

Lots to do. If anyone lives near Woodstock, Oxford, and would like a listen on Wednesday evening then PM me.

Mike

To say that I am jealous would be a serious understatement.

Given that you're comparing it with a Dartzeel, I suspect it won't win you as much as, say, me upgrading from an AV amp.

/g

Integrated with MM / MC phono stage, built in DAC, compact size, WAF. This seems to have it all. I am also very jealous and would love to know how you get on with it.

So I have one of these... used with Proac D2s... and for now a Squeezebox touch!!! I have found a massive dependence on cables... especially the mains and digital... but surprisingly much less on the speaker cables! I used Siltech Ruby Hill 2 mains, Siltech 550L for speakers and a Canare terminated Siltech HF8si coax digital. The Squeezebox is used with the Russ Andrews upgraded mains supply, all plugged into Furutech mains sockets on a dedicated spure, using Oyaide solid core mains cable. I am waiting on the integrated Wi Fi streaming, but as it is it sounds pretty amazing!! It is very revealing and lays most recordings bare, although at the same time does an okay job of replaying lesser recordings. I feel the speakers lack of bass depth is more a limiting factor than anything else... and my personal interest is what speakers to upgrade to!!!! I think if digital is your thing then this is great, but if you are analogue look elsewhere!!

It's affected by the mains cable you use- crazy! a 10k amp with an utterly shit built in power supply- have you told the importers?

Well that wasn't at all a predictable reaction to the mention of cables. :doh:

Still, on the subject of the Devialet power supply - it looks like (seeing pictures of opened boxes) the power supply of the Devialet is offboard. A sort of jumped-up wall wart. Is this the case? Or is that black box marked "Devialet" something different altogether?

Thanks

/g

Just ordered my devialet after a long demo period. Just used an ordinary power cable so far (the expensive ones don't fit!). It is good and even the analogue (including phono) inputs give good results. Experimenting will be interesting but if, like me, most of your music comes from a Mac then it is a great device and easy to use.

Biggest decision is how to get from Mac to Devialet. Tried M2tech but not really up to it. Choice is between M2tech EVO and Wiess INT202. Any views?

Not heard the EVO, but currently use Weiss DAC2 as firewire interface with my Mac Mini/Amarra and very happy with it. Int 202 is pricey, though. Contact Keith at Purite Audio, he does both so I'm sure he could enable you to compare them.

Devialet recommend and use the INT202, if that helps. Or, wait and see what the Wi-Fi module does. If it lives up to the rest of the D-Premier, it may make the wired pathway obsolete.

The only thing with the power cable is be careful about hot-swapping devices on the same distribution block, because I've had it go into sleep mode when you yank out a wall-wart. No problems ultimately, as it powers up again without a care, but it's worth noting if you have wives who routinely decide that your audio system is the place to stick a phone charger. I said this in print and somehow it got translated into 'It's cable fussy'. I actually find it completely the opposite.

So? Better than a Dartzeel? Must be good! Or is it just more domestically approved?

Just ordered my devialet after a long demo period. Just used an ordinary power cable so far (the expensive ones don't fit!). It is good and even the analogue (including phono) inputs give good results. Experimenting will be interesting but if, like me, most of your music comes from a Mac then it is a great device and easy to use.

Biggest decision is how to get from Mac to Devialet. Tried M2tech but not really up to it. Choice is between M2tech EVO and Wiess INT202. Any views?

Well I guess I am a cable man so I am more interested on the impact of that side of things!! For what it's worth I also found gold-plated Furutech sounds better than Rhodium on the mains. Re finding an IEC that fits, I use an Oyaide 4781 which doesthe job great! But either way the Ruby Hill 2 definately is a step up from standard or less mains cables...

Anyway, less of that.... any views on good speakers for the Devialet???

Wife is not entirely happy; only had the Dartzeel a year.

The Dartzeel and Devialet are very close. The devialet wins on its range of inputs and preamp. Another advantage is its moveability, it is very easy to set it up smewhere else if needed. Maybe Scalford next year!

Muddy Funster-Good point about the wireless module. I may well wait.