Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
syep2001

New Speakers - BBC Monitors

24 posts in this topic

All gone a little pair shaped sadly...

I only wrote this post after a very quick listen last night, this morning had a better listen and the reconed speaker is making very farty noises. I decided to take them back, happily got my £80 back.

Were worth more than that even with a bust driver tbh, but i couldn't deal with the hassle. As the drivers are rare as you like it wasn't really worth me holding onto them, if anyone wants the guys number to buy them, they're in Plymouth i'll happily send it on.

istari knight wrote:

That's a damn shame but i think you made the right choice.....Rarity is a double edged blade - Great for resale value & collectiblity but poor for spares.....

James.

Yeah its not like your LS3/5A's those spares are in abundance! Like I said in the original post, the drivers ceased production in the 70's, so chances of another pair are slim to none!

I'll keep with the JPW's for a while yet, not that thats a bad thing!

That's a pity syep, those are superb old speakers with a midrange to die for. Beautiful cabinets too. I'm sure you could have repaired or replaced that faulty driver eventually and for £80 they were worth hanging on to for a while IMO. Have you PM'd Murray to see if he wants them? I think he's in your part of the world and may know where to get a reconditioned driver from.

These guys might be able to help - I had an ancient EV re-coned and voice coil replaced by them:

http://www.wembleyloudspeaker.com/index-frames.html

I think it was actually the voice coils that have gone rather than the coning, it was a very scratchy sound...

i've spent the last hour listening to the JPW's, they won't be going anywhere for a long while...

Yea shame, I told the bloke they were rare, he's prob going to keep them now he says lol

Did you try taking the driver out and rotating it 180 degrees?

Sometimes can just be gravity-sag in the driver's supension over the years which can be "magically" disappeared by the above treatment. Or it could just be broken.

Shame they weren't 100% healthy but at least you got out of them with no £ loss.

TBH like you said, i didn't lose anything for trying, i don't know enough about speakers to try that sort of thing! :shock: