Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
syep2001

New Speakers - BBC Monitors

24 posts in this topic

Saw this in my local free ads

Rogers bbc monitor speakers (Pair) in dark wood effect with serial plates on back. £80

Thought, gotta be worth a look...

Got there, saw this plate on the back, hmmm no model number...

bbc_mon_label.jpg

Do a bit of digging, find out theyre a BBC Rogers LS3/6, made like a Spendor BC1, but under licence from the BBC using KEF T27 Tweeter, Celestion HF1300 Mid, and a pair of these drivers..

bbc_mon_woofer2.jpg

Got to looking at them, a very tidy pair of cabinets in a gorgeous dark wood veneer, with original stands, but an unfortunatley one reconed driver, however, original bass drivers ceased production in the 70's. They do work beautifully though!

Dunno what to do with them, as they're not even remotely easy to drive, so no ampI own will drive them with ease. But for 80 quid I didn't think I could go wrong, randomly they're so rare not even found a pair on ebay or anything!

Basically, any ideas of their true worth? Have I been done? I thought they'd be worth the gamble.

look very interesting indeed. Any idea on the sensitivity? With a Quoted 25W into 15ohms, it shouldn't take a very powerful amp (maybe 35w+ into 8 ohms) to at least get them going.

What you going to do with them?

I think £80 is quite reasonable!

And you should have no trouble driving a 15ohm speaker - probably not to earth-shaking levels but then they're not designed for discos...

You may never need to buy another pair of speakers, unless you can find something like Tannoy Golds in a Yorkshire cabinet..

Alex_A wrote:

Well the Cyrus should at least be powerful enough. 50WPC into 8 ohms? should be at least 25W into 15ohms I'd expect.

Done...sound very good:D

istari knight wrote:

Very nice :cool:

See lower down the page...

http://www.mhennessy1.f9.co.uk/rogers/others.htm

James.

saw that, thats how I decided they were a LS3/6...

Indeed. This could be more of a Private Classifieds thread.

Edit: Don't sell them to me though, these aren't the kind of speakers which would take kindly to lots of serious power. Would be a shame to break them.