SMEagol

My system sounds duff tonight. Bloody Electric.

82 posts in this topic

This morning it was all sparkling bliss and sounded fantastic - OOOOOOH YES I thought you are worthy of Scalford my precious, switch to tonight its :td: got no dynamics and sounds leaden, I have friends round some nights and it just lets me down like an unruly pet (border terrier probably, feral wire brushes that they are), I really need to sort my mains out, without

ONE: Dismantling my cooker spur and stretching 20ft of twin and earth through my design sensibilities.

TWO: Spending a sodding mint - as I'm a bit potless (normal setting) after a few in effect swapsies for other bits of kit, even paid back a relative! I have a QED mains 4 gang filter on my system. But certainly in my application its about as much use as a cat flap on a submarine.

I think Regeneration is the way to go, or something that just stashes so much of a reservoir that resistance is futile. Ideas?... Cost? :)

That's funny, mine was the same. Been sounding great for months, then tonight, just toally off. Maybe it's the national grid at fault. Anyone else have an off night?

I suffer from this all the time (well, you know what I mean). But I increasingly suspect that mood/tiredness/stress and so on have a major part to play. How much is changes in mains, how much mood? Your guess is as good as mine.

I'm having a very much 'on' night this evening, but during the day, 9 times out of 10 it just doesn't grab me and I get a feeling of can't be bothered. That usually results in me not listening to music for a few days, by which time things improve immensely. I agree with paskinn though, mood/tiredness/stress can all work against you and make your brain unreceptive to the message of music, however much you might *want* to listen. I also think you can get too used to the sound of your own system if you listen to music most days/evenings. A secondary pair of speakers with a different character swapped in every now and then helps me to keep it sounding fresh :^.

Jae.

...the last bits probably not great advice for me. :doh: The resounding greeting at Scalford was

"Oh, you're SMEagol, that guy that gets through a load of kit." :(

Good point guys about the stress though, today was very stressful and I'm in early tomorrow. They actually say your body goes into fight or flight mode when you are feeling panicky and this changes perception of how you hear amongst other things. Still think its the mains though, as I had to turn the wick up to get any sense of dynamics, which is very odd.

That's funny, mine was the same. Been sounding great for months, then tonight, just toally off. Maybe it's the national grid at fault. Anyone else have an off night?

Solar flare? Apparently, they can play havoc with the grid.

Solar flare? Apparently, they can play havoc with the grid.

Hasn't been too bad for the last day or so but there could be substantial activity coming ... http://www.spaceweather.com/. Not sure it'll affect domestic audio though - I understood that solar effects on the grid were either small-scale or catastrophic (all the lights go out).

Valvebloke

...the last bits probably not great advice for me. :doh: The resounding greeting at Scalford was

"Oh, you're SMEagol, that guy that gets through a load of kit." :(

Oops, nevermind that bit then :P. I know the mains is pretty dire in this old block of flats where I live. If I so much as flick a socket switch in the kitchen, or unplug something, it comes through my speakers as a pop/click. I don't think it's been rewired in the 40 or so years since it was built so I can certainly see how bad mains can play havoc with audio gear.

I had to turn the wick up to get any sense of dynamics

I get that quite a lot. Some day's I seem to be unable to sense dynamic shifts, particularly subtle one's in the music that I listen to. No idea at all why that is though :dunno:.

Jae.

This morning it was all sparkling bliss and sounded fantastic - OOOOOOH YES I thought you are worthy of Scalford my precious, switch to tonight its :td: got no dynamics and sounds leaden, I have friends round some nights and it just lets me down like an unruly pet (border terrier probably, feral wire brushes that they are), I really need to sort my mains out, without

ONE: Dismantling my cooker spur and stretching 20ft of twin and earth through my design sensibilities.

TWO: Spending a sodding mint - as I'm a bit potless (normal setting) after a few in effect swapsies for other bits of kit, even paid back a relative! I have a QED mains 4 gang filter on my system. But certainly in my application its about as much use as a cat flap on a submarine.

I think Regeneration is the way to go, or something that just stashes so much of a reservoir that resistance is futile. Ideas?... Cost? :)

Chris, One of these will do the trick:

http://upsmart.co.uk/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=11&products_id=47&osCsid=0dc5b70650f93bb3e1b031de8d8af352

http://upsmart.co.uk/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=11&products_id=42

I am using a 3 Kva version of this unit. The only downside is noisy fans which they will change for you for silent ones for a few bob extra

Or even this if it is powerful enough:

http://upsmart.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=318

Hi John, thanks, I think the last one looks perfect! ...now, what to sell? ;-)

I suffer from this all the time (well, you know what I mean). But I increasingly suspect that mood/tiredness/stress and so on have a major part to play. How much is changes in mains, how much mood? Your guess is as good as mine.

I used to think it could be a mood thing until I got a system that wasn't effected by the mains. I could come home knackered, with a headache, put some music on and it was still gorgeous to listen too (but still had 'bite' and excitement)

well, one thing you have to get into your head is that you have just visted a hifi show with lots of expensive kit and well matched kit playing much louder than you probably listen at home. the volumes there wer eprobably higher than what you think and this obviously sound more full on and dynamic - back to reality and your home and the `normal' listening levels need to be adjusted to. I also have a head cold that has affected my ears, so that wont help!

i have to admit, mine sounded rather gentle and relaxed after getting home from the show, but I will adjust back to it. best not to think about it for a few days :^ i actually prefer a relaxed presentation but its hard not to get wowed by the kit that was there and the greater SPLs add to that excitement and dynamics

Those NEAT MFS's sounded great tho...i wonder.....:nuts: naah

its just a stereo Chris..its just a stereo :) and we all have superb stereos that far outperforms what 99% of the population listen to `hifi' wise.

sitting here in my office listening to Bob Marley on a 15 quid Asda `Venturer' cd player and Bob still sounds great.... :cool:

something else i have learned is sometimes I am just not in the mood for music and it doesnt matter how good the system is performing, it wont get my juices going as I just aren't up for it. As hifi and music buffs we think this should not happen..and we tend to want our kit on all the time as it is just the nature of this hobby but sometimes it's best to just leave it until you really fancy a music session, rather than listening to it cos you `always do' which makes you take it for granted...and this leads to the first part of `the nervosa.'

Chris until you have your mains checked and tested by a QUALIFIED electrical engineer any "improvements" will not work. I have said I will undertake this work for you, but until now I haven't heard anything from you on this subject. Throwing money at a "problem" may not address the problem. Because you have to identify the problem. When this has been done then you can do something about it!

S