Due to a configuration issue, PayPal are currently configuring some changes for us therefore PayPal’s gateway is temporarily unavailable. We have set up a safe alternative gateway called Stripe so please use this for your Super Wammer subscription upgrades. Many thanks. Tech Team

The SEARCH function is currently under review due to a large number of old unstructured posts. This may take up to 1-2 days to complete. Alternatively, please use Google search; for eg: amplifier site:hifiwigwam.com/forum/

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PeteVid

Front Ported or Rear Ported Speakers

17 posts in this topic

What are the Pros and Cons of both?

What do folk prefer?

I noticed that Castle Richmond 3s used to be front ported but the 3i incarnation is rear ported, why did they change?

Generally the rule of thumb is that rear ported speakers need to be further away from walls that front firing. But it really boils down to individual speakers.

Testy

My experience is that preferability depends on the room; for my micro-habitations front-ported is always better.

kennyk wrote:

My Arts are rear ported and managed not to embarrass themselves in your room though...

And they were damned good; the Neats were both rear and base ported and worked well as well, but I keep preferring front-ported - sound faster and don't tend to smear.

My Arts are rear ported as are the Stilettos and Stiletto 6's but seem to work well close to a rear wall. The Stilettos especially suit close to wall siting.

kennyk wrote:

:^ a return trip becons... ;)

Always welcome :stereo:

I heard a couple of front ported speakers last week and found them sluggish and inconsistent.

Currently have closed design - are these in theory better at timing ?

What is general minimum distance for placing rear ported speakers at rear wall, or is it really so variable?

Davewhityetagain wrote:

why have a port ? :)some speakers don't

The port if tuned correctly will double the bass available fron a given enclosure size but suppose it's all upto driver quality and cabinet damping too look at the small Proac's for example they are renouned to produce bass that belies the phisical dimentions along with many other monitors out there.:D

Ps I use and love front ported speakers :rockin:

Not owned any rear-ported speakers myself. I'd be inclined to go for front-ported, in the sense that they are less fussy about positioning, plus annoying any neighbours or people in rooms adjacent with bass boom against walls.

nsherin wrote:

Not owned any rear-ported speakers myself. I'd be inclined to go for front-ported, in the sense that they are less fussy about positioning, plus annoying any neighbours or people in rooms adjacent with bass boom against walls.

On a bit of a tangent, if you had your rear speakers say at a 45degree angle to the wall would that effect still happen:Not Sure: