opusover21

Quad 57's, Radford STA15, Weiss DAC202 (Possibly)

27 posts in this topic

Quad 57 complete rebuild from One thing Audio at a cost of £1090 in December 2009. Complete with custom built quad Musikweidergabe external legs in solid beech and brand new grilles in powder coated white. The legs have internal threads for spikes if required. The quad Germany components were 1067 Euro (£900) as well as the speakers themselves this package cost over £2k as you can appreciate this is a unique pair of quad speakers and will include a 4m custom made pair of OTA widgets made as part of the cables as opposed to separate connectors. All paperwork available.

Quads now Sold

Radford STA15 amplifier. Iconic amplifier that works effortlessly with the quad 57. Much sought after this has had the cage professionally powder coated. Under the hood all transformers are original. The circuit boards are removable and have been completely rebuilt with some of the finest components available..Shinkoh and audionote tantalum film resistors throughout 90%+ as well as Jupiter beeswax HT coupling caps, electrolytic replaced with Ansar polypropylenes where applicable, others are Elna Silmics as well as 99% Silver 1% Gold Mundorf wire. Valves are all within the last 12 months...Minwatt branded Mullards XF2 EL34's all matched with lovely printing, Telefunken ECF 82's, Mullard EF86's. The Components alone are approximately £900 on top of the amp itself. Looking for £1400

Radford now sold subject to payment

Weiss DAC202 Removed from sale

ASC Tubetraps*http://www.tubetrap.com/

Pair available as of the link. These are $1000 new. Offers? £200 anyone??

Tubetraps now sold subject to Payment

GEC ECF82, 2 pairs boxed NOS. One pair with GEC printing £90 one without £75.

Will take £150 for both pairs posted...this is a bargain when £125 a pair is the norm?

PM for details. Thanks for looking.

5442101665_3d357a62ef_b.jpg

5442706796_d881a1c279_b.jpg

5442699106_16dc658da8_b.jpg

5442101011_85175ab269_b.jpg

5442097967_b71d0a312a_b.jpg

Well I Never ~ Second part of your Gender Reassignment Surgery really that expensive Stuart :shock:

Anyone wanting an as sorted as sorted can be example of an STA15 would do well having a serious mull over this one folks :cool:

With that lot in the departures lounge there must be something special in arrivals...

Lovely system. Looks absolutely fantastic, sure it sounds even better. You're a man of rare taste!

Yep its replacement must be something else...

Bugger. I love those ESLs a bit. I'm guessing that ten or so watts of Audionote power won't exactly get them singing though?

Quad 11's were only eleven watts, it's voltage swing not power per se with the Quad ESL. You are reaonablly close to Stuart, why not ask him if you can bring your audionote amp for a test drive?

Anthony

Stuart's ESL 57s are amongst the finest speakers I've heard (with Quad IIs, a Leak 20 and Radford 15) and if I had the space would have these in my home now. I also echo Mr. Moon's sentiment (though not the bit about the gender reassignment !), this is really special kit. The amp. in particular is quite unique given the spec. of the parts used in the rebuild.

Good luck with the sale Stuart, I hope you won't regret it !

i cant belive your timeing stuart, if you had put this amp on 3 weeks sooner it would be mine now :love::love::love:, but im picking m i b,s audion silver night 300b monos up at scalford,still trying to work out how i can afford both :(:(

love the gear you are selling.

i have a pair of MA25's which I have had for yonks and have been rebuilt by a guy who used to work for Radford in Bristol. Photo,s in DIY to follow shortly.

Buy the way Give the bengal cat a hug from me, I have two, a pair of brothers, they sound fantastic driven by a Krell!! :)

A friend is still using the 57s I sold him 35 years ago and he uses a rebuilt Heathkit with , I think, 8 watts. 57s don't take much power, just a very stable amp. If I remember the impedance curve dips below one ohm in the top end.

4m custom made pair of OTA widgets made as part of the cables as opposed to separate connectors

Please excuse my ignorance but is there an advantage, other than aesthetics, with this arangement?

FWIW, last week Quad Musikweidergabe quoted me £465 (delivered) just for a pair of 57 legs! They do look superb though.

The widgets in-line allow the same speaker cable to be used throughout and removes additional terminal connections..and yes aesthetically the widgets are housed at the amp end of the cables so you effectively don't see them at all..