JUST IN - A Quote From This Year's Main Sponsor Elite Audio

'Quite simply the best show we have ever had the pleasure to exhibit! Huge amounts of enthusiasm from so many Wammers who clearly share our passion for music. Can't wait for next year..........'

Mark Cargill - CEO Elite Audio

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Marvt74

Ceiling speakers. Passive or active?

5 posts in this topic

Hi guys

We're currently in the process of getting our kitchen and backroom stripped out and altered quite a bit.

This has given me the idea of putting in some speakers and using a small pro-ject Hifi system.

I'm just trying to work out what would be best. I could use active speakers but this would mean I'd have to just a preamplifier as we'd just have phono sockets in the wall.

Whereas if I used a binding post wall socket it would mean we could use pretty much anything. Even a generic all in one box thing and just hook up the speaker cables.

Anyone have any experience with these things?

Cheers

Super Wammer

No direct experience, but I would definitely suggest passive. If you're talking about built-in speakers (in wall or in ceiling) then bear in mind actives need permanent AC supply and you may end up with long, plumbed in coax. Also a lot more flexibility with passive in terms of what you can drive them with. If it's a small kitchen system there are some good 'one box' solutions. Active speakers is going to mean pre + CDP at a minimum.

Well at first i thought about the possibility of just connecting an ipod dock with a volume pot. I know Pro-Ject do one but then i'd miss out on the ability to play cd's

This looks like it might be quite good though

http://www.keene.co.uk/electronics/multi.php?mycode=KLAB20MDC8

Most in-ceiling/wall speakers try to stick within a 4" depth in order to fit in between joists. Fitting an amplifier or two in with them is a bit much although the newer class D modules make that easier since they need less heat management than traditional class A/B. I certainly haven't seen any active ones although I guess they could exist. As me ntioned elsewhere you'd have to run coax around - although I guess once you're making an active speaker you might as well try for a wireless/networked solution at the same time so the only cables you'd need would be a run of CAT6 and power. I haven't seen anything like this but it's a big world.

The simpler solution would be passive speakers (so many to choose from) and an amp, or a Sonos if you want distribution across rooms. Sonos makes it easy.