alanchamberlain

biwring

21 posts in this topic

I've got a Chord power amp (SPM 900) with connections for two sets of speakers (but I'm only using one pair) . Is it a good idea to use A and B at the same time to biwire my speakers and if so how do I wire everything up? I assume that the four (in total) outputs for the left speakers (2 for A, 2 for B) will go to the 4 inputs of the left speaker and the same for the right speaker. Hope I've expressed myself clearly.

To be honest I've never really subscribed to bi-wiring, but if you want to do it, just run a cable from each +/- pair of outputs to a +/- pair of inputs on the speaker. Of course there are those who swear it makes a massive difference, so it's entirely up to you, but depending on your cable it could be an expensive experiment.

An alternative is jumpers - very short runs of cable- between the speaker terminals, which replace the little bit of metal you probably have at the moment and will almost certainly be cheaper than a second set of cables. Again, perceived benefit may vary.

Many thanks - I'm quite sceptical myself but fortunately the experiment will only cost me my time as I already have some cable and I was just wondering if my ideas of wiring everything up were correct - it seems as if they are.

If you already have the cable then experiment to your heart's content!

For those that do not have two outputs and are considering modifying their cables then please don't bother!

The inference from a long running and current thread on PFM is that:

Bi-wiring is a total waste of time, and

Bi-amping is extremely controversial but is an expensive way of achieving little gain, regardless, and

Active bi-amping (with electronic X-over) is a completely different ball game

The inference from a long running and current thread on PFM is that:

Bi-wiring is a total waste of time, and

Bi-amping is extremely controversial but is an expensive way of achieving little gain, regardless, and

Active bi-amping (with electronic X-over) is a completely different ball game

Thank God we have the experts on PFM to hold us by the hand! :roll:

Have you read any of the threads on these subjects on here?

bi wiring works better for some people than others.

But ill not be forcing , or even trying to force my opinion on you

Bi wiring definitely works better for people who want to believe they haven't wasted their money.

As long as the original cable is of sufficient cross sectional area to be fit for purpose there can be no benefit from bi-wiring.

I would love to hear a reason why it works which is not anecdotal.

I should add that I tried Bi-wiring, I even went as far as paying the cable manufacturer to modify the cables for bi-amping (and back again) :oops:

Luckily, when I came to my senses I found some one else who was as big a fool as I had been to buy them from me (I didn't sell them here!).

Bi-wiring?

Been there, tried it. Tried hopelessly to convince myself it made a difference. I just couldn't tell the difference (apart from in the pocket). I have since seen the light. Now any multi strand (for flexibility) wire of sufficient current capacity will do. In both my system I'm using Ixos flat 4 bi-wire cable, which I have cunningly split in half to give 2 runs of single 16awg wire. I had some lying about from a few years back.

Each to his own, I have previously owned 4 "active" stereo amps, and, now, I am just as happy with what I have, 1 high powered stereo amp, biwired 4-4 configuration, neglible extra cost?, and great performance to boot...

What is an "active" stereo amp?

Apologies, four Linn Klout stereo amps with activ crossover cards in, one for treble, one for mid, and two for bass...