JUST IN - A Quote From This Year's Main Sponsor Elite Audio

'Quite simply the best show we have ever had the pleasure to exhibit! Huge amounts of enthusiasm from so many Wammers who clearly share our passion for music. Can't wait for next year..........'

Mark Cargill - CEO Elite Audio

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
ClassikFan

7 Port Heads

16 posts in this topic

My son has been reading about Mini engine conversions featuring 7 port cylinder heads and asked me to explain.

I am presuming that a standard Mini has 5 ports, 2 inlet & 3 exhaust, so the7 port one has 4 inlet?

Can any experts confirm or deny please?

Wtf?

Old mini or new mini? Old ones have 2 valves/cyl. New ones will be 4 valves/cyl. Only Audi / VW / etc. use 3 inlet/2 exhaust configuration AFAIK.

Stuart - yes. :^

Wtf?

Old mini or new mini? Old ones have 2 valves/cyl. New ones will be 4 valves/cyl. Only Audi / VW / etc. use 3 inlet/2 exhaust configuration AFAIK.

Not talking valves, ports are the thing old chap.

Ah... gotcha. Yeah, I remember from messing around with old minis that they had siamesed ports for some cylinders (i.e. where the firing order meant they were a cycle apart, so didn't interfere). IIRC the inlets were, and also the exhaust between 2&3 (or maybe it was the other way round?) Having separate ports would be better, but cost more.

Having separate ports would be better, but cost more.

About £1600+VAT for a built 7-port head. :shock: Good power though - 100bhp from a 1275 is possible.

Dealer

Arden 7 port heads were the classic conversion, in reality a well worked 11 stud head is much more cost effective, there are people manufacturing 16v heads for A-series blocks these days. :shock:

I think there was a guy grafted the head from a BMW K100 motorbike onto an A-series block, too.

K100 head has been done a few times now and is a nice upgrade to get 16 valves :-)

The other benefit of the 7 port head is it turns it in to a cross-flow design whereby the inlet is one side of the head and the exhaust the other side (as opposed to all on the same side as per the original 5 port head).

Benefit 1 is that it is meant to encourage better swirl and mixing in the combustion chamber.

Benefit 2 is that you don't have a hot exhaust manifold stuck right next to your inlet manifold/carb.

Buy him the David Vizard A series book - lots of info there.

Well the 7 port has the advantages of using a normal manifold and other bits so make it cheaper than the 8 port heads. Been awhile since I looked in to this as I was going to do the engine in the 60's pickup thats in the garage. Another good way for good reliability is to use a superchareger from a new mini. CArelfull of the gearboxes though, stick a twin pin diff in and it might be okay.

The best way is a bike engine in the back, supercar money for the price of a frame, engine and welding.

K100 head has been done a few times now and is a nice upgrade to get 16 valves :-)

The other benefit of the 7 port head is it turns it in to a cross-flow design whereby the inlet is one side of the head and the exhaust the other side (as opposed to all on the same side as per the original 5 port head).

Benefit 1 is that it is meant to encourage better swirl and mixing in the combustion chamber.

Benefit 2 is that you don't have a hot exhaust manifold stuck right next to your inlet manifold/carb.

Buy him the David Vizard A series book - lots of info there.

Might just do that, thanks Diceman

Vizards books are great:^

I miss my old minis (cry). I always used the A series myself, didn't seem to be a mini without one!