In the wake of restoring approx 250,000 garbled posts (having remote URL images) since forum migration, rebuilding of forum content followed by search indexing is currently under process. During this process (which may take 1-2 days to complete), the search function may not work properly. We apologize for the inconvenience. Alternatively, you may use Google search; for eg: amplifier site:hifiwigwam.com/forum/

rockmeister

not remotely interesting

80 posts in this topic

but I thought you would like to hear how the uninteresting can be useful.
I bought a diesel estate.
Wait, it gets worse.
I bought a used toyota avensis diesel estate.
Here's my thinking. Life is shite...I have a lot of worries and cares (sob). What I DONT want from a car is any hassel. Any sign of problems will result in my taking an axe to it.
Later, when things are calmer, I'll probably buy something italian, or a Landy, or another bike, but NOW:nup::nup::nup:
So. What I REALLY wanted was a merc because they are soft, quiet and comfy.
We drove a few older E-Class diesels to see if they were as good as our (then) W124 320 coupe....and they are not. Anyway I cant afford what I want.
I was aiming for something comfy (goodbye bmw), quiet (goodbye mazda), reliable (goodbye ford, volvo, saab, and merc).
The new Audi A4 was v good....liked that, but way too much money, the old one being much less nice to drive. Had Fords, Volvo V50 rock hard ride, BMW 1 and 3 series seats poor, and 1 series rides like a mazda....hardish...not what we wanted. New subaru massively bland and costly to run, older one crap seats and no leg room....Honda? Ugly...sorry honda owners, but UGLY.
So....Finally gave in and test drove an avensis D 4D TR. 38000 on the clock, manual box.
1st impression...this is SO quiet. AND comfy to ride in...potholes vanish. Plenty of pull (about mid 9's to 60 but torquey like all diesels and moves well from 2-3500 revs)
6 gears means cruising at 75 at 2000 revs = 65mpg. Averaging around 46 at the mo, fairly gentle driving but lots of town work and small C road stuff, so very happy with that. Reliability so far, pointless to mention, but no squeaks or rattles, and if it lives up to Toyota's top billing then hoorah say I.
And FUN I hear you cry?
NO
Not 'fun' no. Steering is slightly vague and uncommunicative, handling 'OK'...tracks well, although the heavy diesel makes it run on in corners a tad when pushing hard and no power at all under 1600 revs, so gearbox needs stirring a lot.
BUT, as a wagon, as a car to get you anywhere, anytime, in quiet and comfort, cheaply and unobtrusively:^:^:^
About right for a blioke of what? 60 ish?
:zip::):)

Rocky what is not comfortable about a BM? (Other than everyone calling you an arrogant wanker. Though thats never bothered me :cool: )

Isn't yours an old 5 series Nick? They were more comfy imo.

You'll be needing these then

[URL="http://img207.imageshack.us/i/333734cr.jpg/"][IMG]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3818/333734cr.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[quote name='myrman']Rocky what is not comfortable about a BM? (Other than everyone calling you an arrogant wanker. Though thats never bothered me :cool: )[/QUOTE]

Errr, possibly the run-flats being filled with concrete and riding harder than an outcrop of granite?

I find the 3-series pretty uncomfortable. Fives and Sevens are better, but you need to avoid "sports" seats, "sports" suspension and stupid drug-dealer wheels. Sadly most BMW buyers don't. :doh:

The older Audi TDi Quattros are excellent cars but do need to have the wheel alignment set up correctly. If not, they don't drive so well...

[quote name='Boxer']Errr, possibly the run-flats being filled with concrete and riding harder than an outcrop of granite?[/QUOTE]

I agree on the ride front possibly but internally the 5 series is very comfortable IMO. Had a lift in a fellow Wammers E60 520D and was amazed how smooth it was. It didn't feel underpowered either and was returning near on 50mpg. I would have never have even considered 520 before that point.

Totally agree on the BMW run flats. They ruin a cracking car. I had the E60 5 series, and the difference when I replaced the OEM runflat tyres for Vredesteins was remarkable. Unfortunately the chassis/tyre seems to be set up for quality German roads, not the shite we have to drive on.

LOL, you don't need a rock-hard, jiggly ride to get round corners. The likes of Jaguar, Alfa Romeo and Honda have been managing to make cars with both good handling and a supple ride for years. The German motor industry tends to sacrifice ride quality in the "sporty" models so they can get better handling without having to use a more expensive suspension design.

[quote name='browellm']Totally agree on the BMW run flats. They ruin a cracking car. I had the E60 5 series, and the difference when I replaced the OEM runflat tyres for Vredesteins was remarkable. Unfortunately the chassis/tyre seems to be set up for quality German roads, not the shite we have to drive on.[/QUOTE]

I read somewhere that changing the runflats to normal tyres, on a car that was supplied new with runflats can void the insurance.

[quote name='johnniebaby']I read somewhere that changing the runflats to normal tyres, on a car that was supplied new with runflats can void the insurance.[/QUOTE]

It's possible, but very unlikely, unless it can be shown as a direct contributory factor to an accident.

[quote name='johnniebaby']I read somewhere that changing the runflats to normal tyres, on a car that was supplied new with runflats can void the insurance.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I read that at the time too. I decided it was urban myth bullshit. Imagine making a car that you couldn't legally run on regular tyres. - Litigation Ahoy!!

It would depend on your insurance company's attitude to the change. They could argue that you had changed the [I]specification [/I]of the tyres fitted, and that constituted a "modification."

On my bike they counted the fitting of a more comfortable seat as a modification and charged me extra. :X On the MX-5, changing the ride height back to factory/Japan/US spec (30mm lower) was a modification, and I had to pay more. I could have bought a Japanese-spec car unmodified, but they would have charged extra because it was an "import." :X:X

Insurance companies will try anything to avoid paying out, so if you are in any doubt call your insurer and check.