• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fuzzy

Novice audiophile turntable/pre-amp question.

19 posts in this topic

Hello all - my first post. Only just getting into this intimidating world of Hi-Fi!

I've just ordered my first seperate system:

Cambridge Azur 640 Amp

Cambridge Azur 640 CD player

Bronze Monitor 2 stand mount speakers

Marantz TT42 Turntable

The storeare fitting a pre-amp insdie the Marantz turntable - but will I also need a phono stage pre-amp fitted into my amp to get the best possible turntable sound?

Thanks in advance for any help. I'd like to know a little more about this before going back to the staff atthe storenext week.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fuzzy wrote:

Hello all - my first post. Only just getting into this intimidating world of Hi-Fi!

I've just ordered my first seperate system:

Cambridge Azur 640 Amp

Cambridge Azur 640 CD player

Bronze Monitor 2 stand mount speakers

Marantz TT42 Turntable

The storeare fitting a pre-amp insdie the Marantz turntable - but will I also need a phono stage pre-amp fitted into my amp to get the best possible turntable sound?

Thanks in advance for any help. I'd like to know a little more about this before going back to the staff atthe storenext week.

nope, just plug the ttinto a line input, and enjoy, the preamp inside the TT will amplify the minuscule cartridge output, so it's loud enough to be used with line input, which nowadays needs at least around 1v to work well (cd's usually put out around 2volts, older tuners around 1 volt, carts 500mv or less)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Fuzzy

Welcome to the forum

Sounds like a great first system. Just sit back and enjoy the music.:rockin:

Lee:^

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for your advice, Shadow. I feel reassured now!

Purplepleaser, I intend to enjoy it - I've been thinking of nothing else lately. The only thing is I have to wait until next Saturday before I pick it up. :(

I used to think the Technics SC-DV290HiFi I had was good - but now I can't wait to see the back of it!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Fuzzy

The wait will be worth while. It may sound a littletight andclosed into begin with. Get say 50 hours listening done and the sound will become fuller-better bass,soundstage everything really.

Have you decide what the first album will be. I think i played Radiohead first.

Lee:D

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First album? Ohh, where to start? That's really tricky!

Off the top of my head it'll probablybe one of the following:

Exile On Main Street - The Rolling Stones

Let It Come Down - Spiritualized

Exterminator - Primal Scream

I'll tell you this time next week hopefully!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

:cool:

Looking forward to your posts.

Good luck

Lee:)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got my system up and running today.

It's just as I hoped it would be - I'm really pleased with how sweet the music is sounding. I'm hearing things in albums I've not noticed before. And that's me only running the system in gently. I can't wait until it breaks itself in within the next few weeks.

Although, I have to admit I'm a bit disappointed with the sound of my turntable.

As soon as I select 'phono/aux' on my amp, it switches from pure silence to a very clear buzzing sound. It's not as noticeable once the vinyl starts to play, but I can still sense it's there in the background - and that's without turning the amp up very much at all.

Is this normal for a reasonably low-budget TT setup like mine? Although it's not as if I spent buttons on the TT. £120 should be getting you a half-decent sound surely?

BTW, I said in my first post that Richer Sounds were fitting a pre-amp tp my TT. That's what they told me initially - but they actually fitted it to my Cambridge 640 amp.

In the future, to stop the annoying buzzing sound I'm gettingwhen I playmy turntable, would I be able to get the internal pre-amp removed from my amp and get a better seperatephono stage instead?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fuzzy,

Glad you are pleased with your new system - nice choice of kit you have there.

It definately sounds like an earth loop grounding problem that's causing the hum.

On the end of the cable from your turntable where the plugs are to connect into your amp, you should find a small earthing spade.

See if there's an earth terminal on the back of the amp. Unscrew the terminal and attach the spade. Tighten the screw again and all should be well. This should (fingers crossed) solve the problem.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sherin,

I wish I could buy you a drink right now! You're a star. :D:oj:

I already had the earthing spade connected, and when I read your post I thought to myself "that'll not do any good."

But I took your advice and took the spade off and fitted it again, really tight. I wasn't optimistic at all to be honest.

But there's not one bit of buzzing noise now when I play my vinyl! The only thing buzzing is me! So simple advice - but it worked a treat.

Thanks a lot - you've made my day mate. I'm having a toast to you right now. Cheers!:pint:

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brilliant news mate! Glad you got it sorted :dude:Enjoy the tunes - I'm still up and listening to tunes and into the second bottle of wine :pint:

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't you just feel the luuurrvve? :P

Nice one, Fuzzy. I got my first 'proper' hi-fi system in 1981 - it was a bit different to what you have now (CD hadn't even been invented!) but the buzz of going from a 'music centre' to that system still lingers long in the memory.

Enjoy! :cool:

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been enjoying my new system all week. Love it.

On a totally un-related note though - would anyone know how I wire it up so that myTV comes throughthe speakers?

I have my DVD connected to my amp with an interconnect and a scart from DVD-TV.

I've tried fiddling about with leads but I still can't get sound from my TV through the speakers.

What am I doing wrong?!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fuzzy wrote:

I've been enjoying my new system all week. Love it.

On a totally un-related note though - would anyone know how I wire it up so that myTV comes throughthe speakers?

I have my DVD connected to my amp with an interconnect and a scart from DVD-TV.

I've tried fiddling about with leads but I still can't get sound from my TV through the speakers.

What am I doing wrong?!

Welcome to the HiFi World, nice to hear you have bought a TT, sounds like you have a pretty good system, don't let this forum convince you otherwise. There is plenty of choice if you ever want to upgrade, but I would advise that you sit back and enjoy the music.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ClassikFan wrote:

Fuzzy wrote:
I've been enjoying my new system all week. Love it.

On a totally un-related note though - would anyone know how I wire it up so that myTV comes throughthe speakers?

I have my DVD connected to my amp with an interconnect and a scart from DVD-TV.

I've tried fiddling about with leads but I still can't get sound from my TV through the speakers.

What am I doing wrong?!

Welcome to the HiFi World, nice to hear you have bought a TT, sounds like you have a pretty good system, don't let this forum convince you otherwise. There is plenty of choice if you ever want to upgrade, but I would advise that you sit back and enjoy the music.

Welcome to the forum mate, hope you like it here as much as we do.

About your TV - are you using an external decoder box, either cable, freeview or satellite? If so there should be a pair of line outs on the box. It's these that should connect to your amp.

If the decoder is built into the tv itself then there may be a pair of line outs on it, but some sets are lacking these. If this is the case you can usually connect a lead from the headphone output to a pair of line - ins on the amp. Be careful with the volume controls on both tv and amp the first time you try it though.

Final option is if you are still using a VHS, most of these have a pair of line outs you can use. You'll have to turn it on whenever you want to get the sound out from your hifi though and tune it to the correct channel.

Hope some of this helps!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.