Alvolake

Speakers for a Unitiqute

25 posts in this topic

Can anyone recommend speakers for a Unitiqute ? A mate is using his with his Millennium tweetered WD25 standmounts but is not having much luck, the bass is decidely lethargic even in his small 2m x 2m study. Any ideas ? The speakers sound much more lively with his ancient MF A1.

Definately not the matching ones sold by Naim. They sound awful....

I would think the Rega RS1 would work well. They are an easy drive, work well close to a wall (as they will need to in a small room) and I found they sounded good on a Nait amp. They are quite energetic so it sounds like they may fit the bill.

I bought a pair specifically to tide me over while my hifi was confined to a bedroom. They did the job nicely, providing a much bigger sound than they look.

All the best,

Graham.

Definately not the matching ones sold by Naim. They sound awful....

I would think the Rega RS1 would work well. They are an easy drive, work well close to a wall (as they will need to in a small room) and I found they sounded good on a Nait amp. They are quite energetic so it sounds like they may fit the bill.

Graham.

The rega RS1 would go very well. Which Naim's are you referring to Graham - if the nSats I thought they were good although wouldn't be my choice.

I forget their designation but the small Nets should be worth a try or the Dyna Focus 110.

Strat

I owned a pair of the RS1's with a nait 5 and cd5.

They were very, very well matched. In fact the best matched system i've heard at that price; fast, funky and plenty of bass. The room was 12 times 15.

An easy chioce imo. The Rega's are fantastic. :^

Oh and I forgot to add LeemaXero's.

Also very much top class with the same naim stuff, not aa well balanced, but fast as you like, tons of zest and a near perfect midrange.

Good luck,

Paul.

Personally I'd try some very ease to drive italian speakers from Opera or Diapason, I am stunned with what the Diapasons can sound like on a Mini-T 2020 20W Class T. I'd avoid hard load speakers with the low power output of the uniqute (20W/30W?), As much as I love Dynaduios I'd imagine the Focus 110s would a hard load given their heritage.

I'd start trawling speaker specs - 8ohms and 89+ db sensitivity is what you'd look for, Castles for example. Err coat etc.

Neat SE. small but bloody superb big sound with nice deep bass, was one of the big suprises of the Belfast hi fi show.

Keep the WAD speakers. Ditch the naim. :D

I would avoid the suggested Opera speakers - very bright and no bass at all with my Qute.

The Leema Xeros work fantastically - I was using these and very happy with them, before upgrading to Proac Ref 8 Sigantures, which are also superb, but should be at the price.

The Xeros seem to generate remarkable amounts of bass for such small cabinets.

The rega RS1 would go very well. Which Naim's are you referring to Graham - if the nSats I thought they were good although wouldn't be my choice.

Strat

I do believe they were the NSATs. I just checked the NAIM site, they are the cheapest they make. I thought they sounded rather shut in being driven by a UnitiQute. Though on second thoughts, maybe it was the music that was being played. I listened to a few familiar tracks. However I didn't think to ask the sample rate. If it was heavily compressed, then no speaker is going to sound good.

I have to say that at the time, I thought they cost much less (I had in my head £500-600), However, they seem to be almost a grand!! This does not look very good value at all.

Perhaps given my ignorance of the source material, or just plain "given my ignorance" ;-) I should remove my accusation against the N-SAT speaker.

Yours humbly,

I would avoid the suggested Opera speakers - very bright and no bass at all with my Qute.

The Leema Xeros work fantastically - I was using these and very happy with them, before upgrading to Proac Ref 8 Sigantures, which are also superb, but should be at the price.

The Xeros seem to generate remarkable amounts of bass for such small cabinets.

I feel the need to second this qbout the Leema's. Wonderful speakers for next to nowt.

Shouldn't have sold mine, but i was hqving a speaker spasm at the time. Went through 7 pairs in 8 months.

Stupid knacker really. :doh:

Opera speakers must have changed.......I recall them being very smoothe and rich sounding. Not bright at all. Anyway very nice little bit of kit the Qute I feel.