firefuocco

First post - what stand mount speakers are great against a wall?

16 posts in this topic

Hi All, this is my first post. I need suggestions for top quality stand mounts that are happy against the wall.

I have various gear I have accumulated over the years for various purposes. I now find myself living in an old miners cottage in Cornwall & much of the gear isn't that suitable. The lounge (listening room) is about 12.5 x 12.5 feet. Exposed stone walls, carpet floor, low ceiling. For the room to function the speakers need to be up against the wall. Much of the listening is off axis.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Stuff I have:

Dynaudio Contour 1.8 mk2 (need a bigger room & to be a metre out from the wall, but I do love these.)

Linn Katan with stands.

Wharfedale 9.1

Marantz CD17KI

Marantz PM17

Linn Classik music

Linn LK140

Linn LP12

Mini T amp

OCOS cables.

My better half runs Acoustic Energy AE1s close to a wall and runs them using a Linn Classik. Forward facing ports make close to wall placement much easier. Anything originally design for a recording studio monitor should work well.

I have stone walls (decorative stone), hardwood floor (with a small carpet in front of listening position) and high ceilings. I use Opera Prima standmounts, placed about 6 inches from the wall. Beautiful sound and sight.

Tannoy Autograph Mini. See comments in the Sugden A21 thread. I heard these on a mantle piece (!) and they sounded excellent! If space is truly at a premium these are worth a listen.

Also agree with Papa about audio note AN-J. They work well only 2-3 inches out against a solid wall (the more solid the better).

Snell/Audio Note Ks.

+1

Probably one of the only speakers which would drag me away from my Royds, in my room.

IMF TLS50II, IMF TLS80, IMF Pro Monitor. All standmounts, albeit short stands. Superb against walls.

S.