Guest pobox-123

JPW Mini Monitors.

37 posts in this topic

I have a pair off JPW Mini Monitor speakers. I use these when I don't use my Mission 751 speakers.

The JPWs are not sophisticated high end speakers, but they are very fun. Full of life and just plays music. And what I like about the JPWs is that they are fast and clean sounding. They can be a bit bright sometimes.

Any members here using JPWs?

About 10 or so years ago my friend had a pair of Minims on little shelves in the corner of his lounge, he used them for making dance music on his pc and i can remember them making a hell of a noise for such a tiny box, i may keep an eye out for when i sort out loon jr a bedroom system :^

Much under rated speakers. I've just bought a pair if JPW AP2 which uses the same VIFA driver as the Heybrook HB1. The driver foams were perrished, but a £17 order and 2 new foams arrived. Fiddly job to replace them but not too difficult by ant stretch of the imagination.

Now they are on the front of some reasonably nice equipment (Tube Technology CD player, Squeezebox Touch and Consonance Monobloc valve amps) and for a total outlay of £33 they are great value (I appreciate most would be at that price).

It does make you think you could put together a reasonable system for not very much money........

I've read good things about the AP2s.

AP2s are superb, I think I a few years back caused a glut of people buying them!

I've still got a pair (picked up a mint pair recently with one driver needing re-foaming for £30 - £7 and its sorted! I would say up to £600 class they're as good as anything.

I've also had Minims, Gold Monitors, Sonatas, and the ML series.

Still pine after some Ruby 2's.

I've never heard the Ruby's, how do they sound?

It was JPW's High End speaker range, the driver was a metal speaker a bit like a Monitor Audio, age-136 on here has the Ruby 3 floorstanders (for sale too!)

Am I correct in thinking that JPW speaers were built by inmates in some prison near Plymouth or have I lost it. If so did they make money for the tax-payer.

the cabinets were made in dartmoor prison (also in channings wood prison in newton abbot) and then final assembly at the factory in stonehouse plymouth i believe.

i've also had far too many models of jpw - mini monitors , white minims , sonatas , ruby 3s and a mint pair of ap3's with almost new drive units tweeters and main drivers.

havent tried too many other brands as i've always liked the sound of the jpw's , bought a brand new pair of wharfedale diamond 9.3 floorstanders when i got back into music thinking that being modern they would be an improvement over the jpws , awful awful things .

I got a pair of small ones mid 90's for the bedroom. Not bad and not very far off the Mission 700's I had back then in the lounge.

Reasonably good hifi never dies - my daughter now has them in daily service in her bedroom - pumping out Rihanna etc:)

I have a pair of Mini Monitors at the office and they are fine (no bass, though).

What amp do you use with the JPWs?

I'm using a pair of mini monitors in the second system downstairs - with an A&R A60, Systemdek II, SB Touch - I'm quite often amazed at how good it sounds, for mostly vintage stuff. Finding I listen to music downstairs much more since I set it up.

I've had a couple of pairs of Minims too, and the passive sub - in fact I've got the drivers and crossovers for the sub-woofer tucked away, was planning a project in the new year to make some stands with the woofers firing downwards in the base.

Prices for JPW stuff has been steadily going up on eBay so I think the secret is out - I understand they used to be considered as 'giveaway' speakers if you bought a full system from some dealers - those were the days :)

How much were the JPW Mini Monitors when they came out?