Due to a configuration issue, PayPal are currently configuring some changes for us therefore PayPal’s gateway is temporarily unavailable. We have set up a safe alternative gateway called Stripe so please use this for your Super Wammer subscription upgrades. Many thanks. Tech Team

The SEARCH function is currently under review due to a large number of old unstructured posts. This may take up to 1-2 days to complete. Alternatively, please use Google search; for eg: amplifier site:hifiwigwam.com/forum/

jobseeker

Using 75 ohm digital cables for analogue audio

7 posts in this topic

Is there any technical reason why a 75 ohm cable constructed as a digital audio interconnect can't be used as an analogue interconnect ? I know you're not supposed to use analogue cables for digital, but what about the reverse scenario?

How so?

Anyway, surely the termination is at least as important as the cable structure?

I've no idea how so, but that's what I've always been given to understand . There must be a reason that 75 ohm cables are made and recommended for digital interconnects, but I don't know what it is. I was wondering if I could try a pair from pre to power amp without fear of causing any problems (sound quality is obviously another matter).

I've no idea how so, but that's what I've always been given to understand . There must be a reason that 75 ohm cables are made and recommended for digital interconnects, but I don't know what it is. I was wondering if I could try a pair from pre to power amp without fear of causing any problems (sound quality is obviously another matter).

There is absolutely NO difference between 75 ohms digital cable and 75 ohm analogue cable. Coax cables have a specific impedance somewhere around 50- 100 ohms, and consequently, manufacturers design the cables for a specific impedance. 75 ohms is the standard for video and digital audio, RF often uses 50 ohms, sometimes 75 ohms. Analogue audio doesn't care.

In TV studios, it's considered good practice to wire everything with 75 ohm cables, so these cables can be used for video, unbalanced digital audio or unblanaced analogue audio interchangeably. Balanced audio, whether analogue or digital use 110 ohm twisted pair cable.

All my home-made unbalanced interconnects whether for analogue or digital are made with RG59 cable as it gives very good screening and terminates easily. RG6 is ever better screened, but that bit stiffer, so I use RG59. You can't go wrong with interconnects made from RG59 or RG6 using whatever connectors ou favour.

S.

Some of my most successful interconnects have been made from a reel of ancient 75 ohm aerial cable lurking in the back of the workshop. The insulation is excellent, there is a superbly-constructed air-gap between the conductors and the screening is perfect. It's a bugger to fit into ordinary phono plugs, but that's half the fun.

Some commercial cable sellers charge a lot for this. Go figure...