Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
darrenm

Standmounters for Arcam CD72 and Cyrus 7

67 posts in this topic

As you may have noticed I am selling my rear XPA, and I've realised that if I sell my fronts too then I will have around £400 towards some new speakers.

I would like standmounters as this will give me flexibility in case I move the system to a smaller room (I may return to uni... wink.gif )

Requirements:

I need standmounters that are excellent match for my Arcam CD72 and Cyrus 7, connected with a VDH 102 interconnect and VDH CS122 cable.

Music tastes are predominately RnB, HipHop and Dance - genres that often poorly produced e.g. bright treble - so the speaker will need to be smooth. A chunky speaker will be better as the music is quite 'beat' driven.

I am flexible with positioning but prefer a great looking speaker and a light wood finish.

Ideally I would like something 2nd hand originally worth towards 1k.

Please help me to compile a shortlist and include links, ebay links, ex-dem links etc where possible tongue.gif

Obvious starters are Dynaudio Audience 52 and Dynaudio Contour 1.?

Maybe better going with the Dyn contour. The 52 is slightly harsh in the midrange IMHO.

Hi, You could look out on ebay for my speakers.Proac Response 1sc. They have a wonderful sound.They have a good level of bass, also they sound great listening to the likes of 50 cent, Nelly,Common also good with dance and r'n'b. They are a great allrounder,they boogie when needed and sound wonderful and detailed at the same time. They average £600.00 on ebay. Hope that this helps.

http://www.proac-loudspeakers.com/1sc.php

lee

P.S Proac have bought two new standmounters out:

http://www.proac-loudspeakers.com/studio100.php

http://www.proac-loudspeakers.com/studio110.php

these are about £600-800ish new

MA GR10, ATC scm 12, JMlabs do some standmounters around your budget too

People always mention the GR10s.

I saw them connected to Cyrus in Sevenoaks a while back and the first thing I thought was "Cyrus is metal tweeter speakers!?"

Are they a good match?

I need to have some demos but will be buying 2nd hand: always feel cheeky listening and not buying... ;)

darrenmayne wrote:

People always mention the GR10s.

I saw them connected to Cyrus in Sevenoaks a while back and the first thing I thought was "Cyrus is metal tweeter speakers!?"

Are they a good match?

I need to have some demos but will be buying 2nd hand: always feel cheeky listening and not buying... ;)

I'm not reccomending them, mearly giving you options, a lot of the cyrus guys like them though, so can't be that bad, have you asked at the cyrus unnoficial forum?

I like my Audience 52's. :D The dark grey baffle grows on you, but I agree its a bit much on the floorstanders.

Avoid Quad 11L's like the plague: they really don't go with Cyrus. I suspect the 12L's will be the same.