In the wake of restoring approx 250,000 unstructured posts (having remote URL images) since forum migration, rebuilding of forum content followed by search indexing is currently under process. During this process (which may take 1-2 days to complete), the search function may not work properly. We apologize for the inconvenience. Alternatively, you may use Google search; for eg: amplifier site:hifiwigwam.com/forum/

russ_h

This made me smile

34 posts in this topic

Those crazy convicts :P

[quote name='earlofsodbury']Funny how people judge audio by the size and number of the parts, and not the effect they have... :roll:

Separating the power supply from sensitive audio circuits is worth doing.

Whether it's worth the cost of the stupidly-named "Flatcap" is down solely to [U]your[/U] ear, [U]your[/U] budget and [U]your[/U] priorities.

Not a gaggle of ill-informed and technologically illiterate [B]amateur opinionistas[/B].[/QUOTE]

I thought that was what this site was about, loads of folk spouting opinions about stuff they know only a little, or in my case bugger-all, about. I don't need to take an electronics degree to understand that what's in the box there hasn't taken a great deal of R and D and has more to do with fleecing ( no pun intended) those who buy into the Naim upgrade path. I agree people buy what they want according to their priorities, budgets and ears, but surely at the mid-fi-ish level that Naim represents imo, surely there has to be at least a certain degree of percieved value for money.

What's the big deal? It's a design thing surely isn't it - so this box matches the others that are probably more packed with components.

SQ is the thing anyway.

its a power supply nothing more so not really sure what else you would expect to find inside , naim used to do half sized boxes for there seperate power supplys so suppose the said components list would fill this out alot more but its not likely to perform any better !

[quote name='earlofsodbury']Funny how people judge audio by the size and number of the parts, and not the effect they have... :roll:

Separating the power supply from sensitive audio circuits is worth doing.

Whether it's worth the cost of the stupidly-named "Flatcap" is down solely to [U]your[/U] ear, [U]your[/U] budget and [U]your[/U] priorities.

Not a gaggle of ill-informed and technologically illiterate amateur opinionistas.[/QUOTE]

Basically I agree. This habit of posting pictures of the inside of boxes and laughing at the number of components is daft.

However, that is supposed to be a superior power supply. From a technical point of view, it doesn't look like one. A torroidal transformer, one pretty average cap and what looks like a pair of voltage regulators or rectifiers does not a proper psu make.

To me, that looks like an average torroidal and some pretty average components.

[quote name='rabski']Basically I agree. This habit of posting pictures of the inside of boxes and laughing at the number of components is daft.

However, that is supposed to be a superior power supply. From a technical point of view, it doesn't look like one. A torroidal transformer, one pretty average cap and what looks like a pair of voltage regulators or rectifiers does not a proper psu make.

To me, that looks like an average torroidal and some pretty average components.[/QUOTE]
Doesn't matter so long as it sounds good to the person buying it and it fits with the other components.