Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Cambridge phono amp

41 posts in this topic

Looking for reviews for this interesting looking piece of kit, anyone heard it? or know anyone who has bought one, specifically the 640p?

TIA

The 540P gets a good review in this month's Hi Fi World

"This £40 gem acquitted itself admirably in a high end review system showing few signs of its budget origins"

"Its very musical sound was especially good in the low frequency regions making for a warm dynamic and vibrant acoustic"

cheers for that, will have a look, have a slee era gold V atm, but trading it in, may give this a go as richers let you get money back if not satidfied, never bought anything from richers so this will be an eye opener.

analoguekid wrote:

cheers for that, will have a look, have a slee era gold V atm, but trading it in, may give this a go as richers let you get money back if not satidfied, never bought anything from richers so this will be an eye opener.

Don't expect a cup of tea;) Seriously though, my local Richer Sounds is quite good. I bought the Cambridge Audio Av stuff from them and I am very pleased with it and considering I only spent £600 (DVD,AMP+Speakers) they bunged in all the cables for free (About £90-£100).

Blimey AK, never expected to see "Cambridge Audio"appear in your kit list! :shock:

Nice,cheap TT by the look of it, too!:^

Be interested to know how you get on.

churz, eofs

earl of sodbury wrote:

Blimey AK, never expected to see "Cambridge Audio"appear in your kit list! :shock:

churz, eofs

neither did I but the Emotions had a profound effect on me :D

analoguekid wrote:

earl of sodbury wrote:

churz, eofs

neither did I but the Emotions had a profound effect on me :D

Evidently they are well-named!

Hope the scrimping and saving goes well.

churz, eofs

Bear bought one recently off Ebay (on my recommendation) and I tested it out for him in my systemwhen it arrived. I'd say for the price, it's probably the best one on the market - performance wasn't hugely inferior to my Gram Amp 2SE. Not quite aslively or detailed as the Sleeand a with a generallywarmer presentationbut good bottom endand certainly listenable. As I say, for the money, you can't go wrong.

White Pheasant wrote:

Bear bought one recently off Ebay (on my recommendation) and I tested it out for him in my systemwhen it arrived. I'd say for the price, it's probably the best one on the market - performance wasn't hugely inferior to my Gram Amp 2SE. Not quite aslively or detailed as the Sleeand a with a generallywarmer presentationbut good bottom endand certainly listenable. As I say, for the money, you can't go wrong.
This is what I was hoping, cheers

AK,

So have you sold the "wanky wires" TT already then matey?

Is this beauty on the way out really?

?Plinthprot5.jpg

No James still have it, have agreed trade in price for expressions and TT rig with a dealer in px for some emotion sigs, have a few cash flow probs to sort out and then will be ordering, very soon, thorens was a bargain and will allow me some tweakery, after hearing Johnnies with his arm and a £17 pound cart blow the 2 LP12 guys away shows it was worth a punt, inc all postage and a new cambridge PS (I have a cheapoer cart) I'm it expecting not to be too far behingd the technodek

AK

analoguekid wrote:

No James still have it, have agreed trade in price for expressions and TT rig with a dealer in px for some emotion sigs, have a few cash flow probs to sort out and then will be ordering, very soon, thorens was a bargain and will allow me some tweakery, after hearing Johnnies with his arm and a £17 pound cart blow the 2 LP12 guys away shows it was worth a punt, inc all postage and a new cambridge PS (I have a cheapoer cart) I'm it expecting not to be too far behingd the technodek

AK

I kinda got the impression (doh) that J7's brass arm was dugs danglies. Enjoy mate. Sounds like a plan to me. :cool:

BTW johnnie has shown me some newer pics of his arm, now with headshell, and the aluminium and black version awaiting headshell, the alu one looks stunning, you lot will drool at the pics, never mind the sound