Gyro's back-of-a-fag-packet guide to getting your CDs into a file for streaming

98 posts in this topic

Very interesting. I still like to put artwork discs-tapes in/on suitable player, but look forward to streaming not-on-commercial-disc WAV/mp3 files soon.

I agree that these sort of sticky tips should be on e.g. tobacco-containers rather than the unpleasant pics/words, and is very helpful to many.

Rep from me too. Once you have got the basics sorted out, choice of lossless file format, tagging etc, it comes down to personal preference as to which software you like using and which interface at the using end floats your boat. Before making a decision try the alternative hardware at Richer Sounds or wherever and trial the different software. If you are concerned about any of these programmes wreaking havoc with your computer clone your hard drive first.

Rep from me too. Once you have got the basics sorted out, choice of lossless file format, tagging etc, it comes down to personal preference as to which software you like using and which interface at the using end floats your boat. Before making a decision try the alternative hardware at Richer Sounds or wherever and trial the different software. If you are concerned about any of these programmes wreaking havoc with your computer clone your hard drive first.

Indeed, and the beauty is that it is possible to try nearly all music managers to gauge personal preference, without touching your data. And therein lies one of the main beefs with iTunes. Unless one is forearmed and changes the the default settings, iTunes will merrily recatalogue your folders, move your album art and change your tags. Reversing this is an entirely manual process. Very, very poor form imo. :x

Indeed, and the beauty is that it is possible to try nearly all music managers to gauge personal preference, without touching your data. And therein lies one of the main beefs with iTunes. Unless one is forearmed and changes the the default settings, iTunes will merrily recatalogue your folders, move your album art and change your tags. Reversing this is an entirely manual process. Very, very poor form imo. :x

A wise warning. Alter the settings so that it doesn't manage your files and it has a lot to offer, it certainly speeds up my work flow. Not for all tastes though, so try them all and heed Mark's health warning (which can apply to other programmes as well if one misunderstands exactly how they work).

iTunes - useful for buying otherwise unavailable e.g. songs/for most iPod owners - is Satan's fart.

This is really useful.

I bought one of these a few weeks ago

http://anythingbutipod.com/2010/10/the-long-awaited-cowon-x7-arrives/

Strange beast to be honest, clunky UI, quite heavy but the sound is amazing and 160gb.

I've been ripping CDs and playing around a bit with the various options to see what suits me best..

Mainly using mediamokey but I must admit to using WMP as well :doh:

Now and then a CD either won't rip or rips very slowly. All original CDs, some old some new. No Celine Dion.

Any idea what causes this?

Mmm nice article. I must try dbPoweramp again - I am sure I looked at it at some point but didn't follow through for some reason. I have a small pile of "copy protected" CDs - can dbPoweramp (or anything else) deal with these?

I have ended up with a fairly hands-on workflow which if I had the skill and or the tools I would love to automate - although being a bit anal about these things I do like to see the "successfully ripped" messages and the "accuracy confidence" crowd sourcing thing.

I ended up ripping my CD collection to FLAC in EAC. I used "Album Art Aggregator" to get the cover art (this doesn't seem to be working for me anymore). Then I use Foobar to clean up any tags that slipped through the net from the EAC tagging. I also deal with the tags for multi-disc sets at this point so they appear in my Squeezebox menu as a single album rather than CD1, CD2, etc. Finally in Foobar I generate an mp3 version which I drop into the iTunes library.

Having done the above and once I am happy it is all clean I copy the new FLACs into my live library on my Windows Home Server and keep a duplicate set on my ripping PC.

This is perhaps the one thing I would emphasise in the original post is to keep multiple multiple copies of your lossless rips - you know how long it took to rip them and it would be heartbreaking to have to do them again.

I have a small pile of "copy protected" CDs - can dbPoweramp (or anything else) deal with these?

You'll need something such as Audiograbber to extract the audio. It's freeware.

Then use your usual conversion and tagging program.

You'll need something such as Audiograbber to extract the audio. It's freeware.

Then use your usual conversion and tagging program.

Not quite so, I think.

I had a couple of very badly copy protected CDs, namely Goldfrapp's "Supernature" and something snoozeworthy by Zero 7. My PC wouldn't even recognise the Goldfrapp one as an audio CD. dbPoweramp wouldn't rip either of them.

Fast forward a year, new PC, upgraded my installed copy of dbPoweramp. Now it can rip both of them. I've no idea what the bloke who wrote dbPoweramp has done, but it seems to make a pretty good fist of some of these "copy protected" CDs.

/g

Not quite so, I think.

I had a couple of very badly copy protected CDs, namely Goldfrapp's "Supernature" and something snoozeworthy by Zero 7. My PC wouldn't even recognise the Goldfrapp one as an audio CD. dbPoweramp wouldn't rip either of them.

Fast forward a year, new PC, upgraded my installed copy of dbPoweramp. Now it can rip both of them. I've no idea what the bloke who wrote dbPoweramp has done, but it seems to make a pretty good fist of some of these "copy protected" CDs.

/g

Thanks for the update! I do have the latest version now, but ripped my copy protected CDs long ago, so wouldn't have a chance to try that out. I will have a look at his forum and see if there's any more news about it.

So no other programmes rip into ALAC? I use itunes to rip as I still like the genius feature despite using sonos most of the time. Totally fed up with itunes choosing randomly to default to my local my music folder rather than rip to my network server. .. just spent the best part of an hour manually moving the files and finding them again. Boring. I'd like to be able to rip in ALAC to my network drive then map to it in itunes without actually ripping with it. Fairly fed up with it doing what it pleases with compilations too.