icehockeyboy

Wi Fi Help Needed

28 posts in this topic

OK, I got my 760 talking to my router within 10 mins and I'm a numpty. I let the player select everything except the password which I input manually from the remote.

As MiB says, the ONLY reason for doing it is to update the firmware and using the internet and burning an image CD is very straightforward for that. I should know as that's how I updated the firmware on my 550 player.

The wifi connectivity for the 760 is pretty limited (photos only?) so surely you can live without that? After updating the 760's firmware I went into the factory reset menu and erased the network connection settings so the WLAN light was no longer lit - would be distracting when watching films!!!!

Good luck!

Which, as I said before basically makes it a 550......and I have one of those already................:(

So what do you think the benefit will be if you get the wi-fi to work?

Do you think it will be worth £100?

:dunno:

Don't worry Craig, my old man is the same, he'd buy a cuckoo clock if it had wi-fi built in.

Lol

Dealer

Can you get LastFM to play through these players?

Can you get LastFM to play through these players?

Don't think so. As others have said, the WiFi element is useful only for firmware updates. The big differentiator between the 760 and all the other models in the range is the 7 channel analogue outs - i.e. it can decode Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master itself, so the player is very useful with older amps that don't the newer HD formats.

/g

Recently whilst tring to re-set up Sony wifi BD player etc on new router, I took days before I got lucky.

I know that it would have been quicker if I re-set router via button, or reset passwords etc.

I can't remember how I eventually achieved success - in future, I won't bother/will use PC-downloaded updates via e.g. USB device.

IMO it is usually a problem of initially setting up passwords on router/wifi etc system hub 'too securely' - no wonder ...

Don't think so. As others have said, the WiFi element is useful only for firmware updates. The big differentiator between the 760 and all the other models in the range is the 7 channel analogue outs - i.e. it can decode Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master itself, so the player is very useful with older amps that don't the newer HD formats.

/g

My 550 has that feature...............

forgive my ignorance. i am really new to this software update business. i dont have wifi and plug the broadband (VM) straight into my macbook pro. am i correct to understand that i unplug the cable from the mac and plug into the back of the 760 and run the update.

i did a quick search on google and found that i could also use the mac as a wireless access point. it looks a bit tricky, so am i correct that wiring up is the better bet. thx

Try connecting to your router via a Ethernet patch lead to perform any software updates. From what others have said, that's the only reason you'll need internet access.

As convenient as wifi often is, IMO Ethernet e.g. 10/100 thingie wiring is easier/better, especially if used only occasionally for software updates. And I am a saddo who since using internet regularly via serial-USB-wifi from 1998 has only in past few months discovered original advantages of Ethernet.