Matt J

DIY Rat trap ideas

55 posts in this topic

Due to us living within the close vicinity of the original bat-shit-crazy cat woman we get rats straying into our garden, I've rat proofed the shed but we've a small out building that needs some serious work to the concrete step to enable the bottom of the door to seal properly hence the evidence of the little bastards inside.

So mean time I'm thinking of DIY'ing a trap, I have plenty of tools, a fair bit of wood and an endless supply of nails, screws and nuts 'n bolts. So fire in some ideas, obviously the more comical the better, although whilst tiny chunks of C4 covered in peanut butter rigged to a tiny trip wire may be the most fun, it is inconvenient, painting C4 with peanut butter is a ball-ache.

I was thinking something weight based, maybe a tall container with a heavy, spiked ceiling that slides up and down inside and triggered somehow.

Give it your best shot :^

For indoor use (inside the shed should be classed as indoor) the classic 'back-breaker' rat trap is still my favourite. Unfortunately they are now illegal for use outdoors (you may kill a bird or a furry little squirrel!).

Cheap as chips and no need for DIY! If you know where the little blighters run, you don't even need bait!

RatTrap.jpg

Tractor Boy stylee?

Whilst I'd love to be there to personally despatch the little bastard(s) I have better things to do (honest) than stand outside with a shovel in the pissing down freezing cold all night.

Plus, I was hoping for some comedy ideas for an inventive Rat killer, bonus points for ideas inspired by the film The Cube.

I'm guessing the best baits are sugar/sweet based? Jam, Chocolate, Peanut Butter etc...

Get a terrier, charge admission. Not something I'd want to view, but folks have made money at it in the past.

Do you own a chainsaw? Circular saw? Some kind of power saw? I'm thinking something with moving blades:^

Not sure about traps, TBH, but all the farmers and gamekeepers that I know swear by peanut butter as bait. :^

EDIT:

We also have an old blender :bulb:

Ramp, bait, PIR sensor. Job jobbed.

Could get messy - especially without the lid on...

From bitter experience, I side rather with the Earl on this.

My personal favourite is six cans of Stella and a baseball bat. It might get cold and wet, but the sense of satisfaction derived from twatting one of those little bastards is peerless.

I've always liked the idea of taking a large polypropylene capacitor, putting a piece of mars bar (very effective bait ime) across the legs & then charging it with 500-600V. Quiet & mess free. Leave a few of them about.

Rat.jpg

Always used to make people jump when we threw one for them to catch at one place I worked :^

All you are doing is speeding up the evolution of the super rat. Make friends with them and educate them as to why it's not really a very neighbourly to do in moving into your property. That should do the trick.

We have mice in the loft above eldest's bedroom, doesn't help he's just read rats in the walls by Edgar allen Poe, and so we've put a couple of traps down today. Peanut butter was used as its dificult for the little bastads to gt off the hook without jiggling about and springing the trap.

In yorkshire we lived in the country and had mice once. Mrs Stup went into the kitchen and she saw mouse, mouse saw her. Mrs Stup shrieks, mouse jumps into toaster, Mrs Stup engages toast function. Dead mouse and an unusable toaster.

I hates meeces to peices.

Sustitute sulphuric acid for water and the violent/comic element is back :bulb: