Guest The Engine

MICHEL HR power supply .............worth doing ???

92 posts in this topic

As above really.I've had the gyro for about 5 years and I've upgraded amp , speakers ,cart , arm .....and I've allways been dubious about a power supply improving a belt drive deck ?

Is it a big improvement or not ????

Definite improvement, more detail, better soundstage whether big or not is a matter of conjecture. But in the overall scheme of things it's not that pricey is it.

As I understand it the HR power supply gives a more even flow of power thus resulting in better control of the platter speed and torque?

I am sure it is going to make an improvement.

QC worked wonders for mine. Better than the Orbe platter imo.

QC was well worth doing. HR is for the DC-powered Gyrodecs IIRC ?

Was there also a Gyropower VC for AC Gyrodecs that replaced the QC ? Or am I imagining things ?

As I understand it the HR power supply gives a more even flow of power thus resulting in better control of the platter speed and torque?

I am sure it is going to make an improvement.

And yet the platter is dynamically isolated from the motor by the fairly slack belt tension, and given the inertia of the platter, I can't see how changing the power supply can make any difference.

S.

Serge, changing PSU on my old LP12 made a huge difference, not subtle at all, I assume the principle is the same here.

What I have a problem with, is what changes with a new PSU? Does the rumble get lower? Does the W&F get lower, does the isolation improve? If none of those things, then what actually changes enough to make it sound better? If some of those things change, when they were already very low on the sort of turntables we're discussing, then at best the improvement would be marginal, certainy not "huge".

So what changes?

S.

All fair points as they stand Serge but isn't it enough that people just get a better musical experience?

Don't know Serge, I don't have any measuring gear other than my ears but what I heard was a cleaner, less muddled sound, which I thought was probably from less vibration from the motor. W&F was never the best on the LP12 anyway because of the belt/lowish mass platter so I'm not sure it made much difference there.

I'm currently looking at PSU options for my Garrard - the theory is that lower voltages do exactly this, reduce vibration, but being direct drive this may be easier to accept as a logical consequence.

Motor runs more smoothly, discharges less vibration into the plinth? Pulls belt & hence platter round more smoothly? The suspension system & belt are mechanical filters but they aren't perfect by a long chalk. If they were, the deck would never be able to start.

What I have a problem with, is what changes with a new PSU? Does the rumble get lower? Does the W&F get lower, does the isolation improve? If none of those things, then what actually changes enough to make it sound better? If some of those things change, when they were already very low on the sort of turntables we're discussing, then at best the improvement would be marginal, certainy not "huge".

So what changes?

S.

I believe the better power supplies are better regulated, giving a more precise (or to be more accurate a more precisely controlled) motor speed, resulting in improvements in all areas. The step up from the Gyropower to Gyropower QC made a massive improvement on my Gyrodec, it was not subtle at all.

I believe the better power supplies are better regulated, giving a more precise (or to be more accurate a more precisely controlled) motor speed, resulting in improvements in all areas. The step up from the Gyropower to Gyropower QC made a massive improvement on my Gyrodec, it was not subtle at all.

So following on this logic, if the post-upgrade sound was "massive" improvement, it follows that the pre-upgrade sound must have been significantly degraded. And yet, a Gyrodec in standard trim is actually quite a good performer. So it comes back to my earlier question, what changes? What has changed by enough to give a "massive" improvement?

S.

All fair points as they stand Serge but isn't it enough that people just get a better musical experience?

It may well be enough for some, but if I hear an improvement, it will drive me nuts until I know exactly what has improved. Otherwise, I'll just put it down to wish-fulfillment. I want it to sound better so it does.

S.

Motor runs more smoothly, discharges less vibration into the plinth? Pulls belt & hence platter round more smoothly? The suspension system & belt are mechanical filters but they aren't perfect by a long chalk. If they were, the deck would never be able to start.

This is quite likely, but at best this would result in a modest reduction in already low rumble and W&F, not the "massive" or "huge" improvements reported.

S.