Guest lonergan2468

Speakers suitable for valve amps

8 posts in this topic

My martin logans Quest z are really too much for my room, as its only 10 feet wide. I use Opera Consonance M800 Mono Amplifiers: Just looking for some advice here, as I would like large book shelf speakers. Any one know of any suitable speakers for these set up?

The opera have an op of 75w in ultra linear and 35 in triode mode

Each monoblock uses a quad of EL34 output tubes, a pair of 6SN7s as drivers, and a single 6922 at the input stage.

Be grateful for any advice

Thanks

Loads of options - what sort of budget are you thinking of? What sort of sound/music? ... similar to the ML stat hybrid? What sort of looks?

Those amps should drive most speakers in a smallish room, I'd have thought.

Sonus Faber could work very well ... so could lots of others!

What about a small floorstander?

Heard the Usher X-718 and 718 BE with similar valve set-ups. Driven with ease. Meet the criteria for "large book shelf" :) With that sort of valve output - practically all standmounts should be ok.

Icon Audio do a range of 'Made For Valve' speakers. I have a pair of small MFV6's and their Stereo 25 valve amp in my small listening room and I love 'em. It would be worth your while giving David Shaw a ring.

I like all kinds of music really, jazz, blues, a bit of mainstream pop, occasional classical...female vocal..

Audionote/Snell type J or K

Proac, Living Voice, Art are the brands that spring to mind

My sonus faber cremonas needed a powerful amp to control their bass, so not sure about recommending sonus faber to go with low powered valve amps - but maybe something like a big mcintosh

Oh, and check the back of Hifi Choice - when they list recommended speakers they rate how easy they are to drive

I'd second the Snell vote. There are a fab pair of type Es on Ebay right now. I love the original Ks but if you have the space, some JIIs would be sure to deliver. You could try and get some Impulse H2s if you can find them.