Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nicolap99

Liquid amp to match proAc

35 posts in this topic

HiNew to the forum. considering a change of amp to match my speakers.Current set upRega Jupiter cdRega Cursa preRega Maia power amps - bi amped - driving the superbProAc Response 1sc speakersWhat I'm after is a more fluid/ liquid / air and space around the music.Any suggestions? worried about valves, as I know little. My instinct takes me to Sugden.

How much have you got to spend? Why worried about valves? judging by the type of sound you are after, they would seem ideal. The offerings from Sugden maybe underpowered for your proacs, how easy are they to drive? sensitivity?

I wouldnot agree about the proacs needing more muscle . I have driven Proac D15s with a Sugden a21a in a largish heavily damped room and lack of power was never a concern. in fact barely had to turn the volume knob more than 11-O-Clock !

I thought they sounded very well together..Only reason I did not go for it was that I felt another speaker which I was evaluating sounded more like what i wnated.

Thanks arjn, but using my current system the volume control is usually in the 12 o clock position. For some cd's I'll turn it up to 1 o clock. This might sound excessive, but its not that loud at those settings.Still have a niggle to listen to a Sugden though.

Can highly recommend the Sugden Masterclass integrated - 35 proper watts...

Whether you can find one for £1500 is another matter.

Alternatively, the Lavardin IS is pretty good for liquid-ness, though I personally found it didn't have enough power for my speakers (Ditton 66/2), but the Sugden did.

However, I'm not a great fan of the Response series - not enough of anything for me.. So I'd lose them as well!

ok, since we all like to recommend our own kit, try the Audio Analogue Maestro. 150W to drive the proacs, very smooth and airy sound, could be one to try and listen to.

Problem is, its £3000 new, but if you hunt around, you might find an exdem or used model for at least half the asking price.

Also, something like scm's Manley Stingray is right in your budget, and is apparently pretty stunning.

Could also contact Mr Coherent (member here) and ask about a Bel Canto Power amp and Eastern Electric Minimax pre!

Bow Wazooo XL.

You may have read my review of it. It really is stunning. It has a beautiful midrange.

Only problem is they are hard to find 2nd hand.

The Lavardin IS (and IS ref) is 35w/ch. It has a fantastic mid-range and works very well with efficient speakers...

The IT has 48w, and is a much betteramp - though it should be with an rrp of £2795! (the IS is £1500).

I heard them both with my Dittons - the IT had a much easier time and matched the Sugden masterclass integrated for easy-listening with massive detail...

In the end I didn't buy either - I bought a Bow Warlock SE pre and Bryston 14bsst power. With my speakers there's no substitute for cubes!

nicolap99 wrote:

Thanks for the replies, been scouring the net - any thoughts on using a hybrid amp?Saw some interesting reviews on Croft, and also the full blown valve Stingray amp.

Not heard any Croft amps (Davewhityetagain is a big fan of Croft) so cannot comment, but own the Manley Stingray myself. It's main advantage over other similar priced valve amps is bass, very tight controlled deep bass, almost solid state like with all the other benefits of valve.....clean top end, smooth detailed mid range.Almost dual mono design, 2 input selectors and left rca's on left hand side of amp and vice versa giving superb imagery. I am chuffed to bits with mine.

As far as Hybrids are concerned I have home demo'd the Pathos Classic one and didn't get on with it at all, bass was superb along with a clean top end but mid range sounded very recessed, voices sounded weak compared to the rest of the music.

Hi nicolap99, Just thought that I would mention that I use the Sugden Musicmaster to drive the exellent Proac 1sc . This little amp has only 15watts at 8ohms. I am in a modern house so volume is a problem. I chose to go with the Musicmaster over the Sugden Ampmaster due to several reason. It sound so much more open,sweeter,clearer,more effortless,the sound stageseems huge in comparison.The Musicmaster will not go as loud as the Ampmaster which has twice the power but it's sounds so much better through out the volume range and has more control. Yes it is twice the price but you get more than twice the sound. It may be worth a listen .I am going to get another to bi-amp my Proac's soon.I know that I will have to g-clamp my socks on as my single Musicmaster blows them off already.Hope this may help and good look finding a amp to get the best out of the best stand mounters in the world:)

lee