Matt J

Liverpool - oh dear...

9,747 posts in this topic

It'd be a fantastic bit of soap opera for sure but Kevin Keegan was a fantastic bit of soap opera and when the going got tough and all that. That's not to detract from the achievements of Kenny Dalglish but when you've been a manager you forget the hard times when you've been out for a while. The memory comes back when you get the job!

I well remember the Liverpool of my formative footballing days, assuming they would win with an ease and great style. Conquering European football along with other English teams (VILLA)

They are the perfect example of the modern obsession with football, greed, money, image rights and a lack of passion, where teams have become brands used to sell shit.

I take no pleasure in watching the Liverpool downfall, it echoes the downfall in the game in general.

When will a team like Forest win the elite European trophy ever again ?

The Champions league can fuck off.

The top 4 can fuck off (coming fourth means you have won FUCK ALL).

The money men can fuck off.

All seater stadium can fuck off

Prawn sandwiches and corporate boxes can fuck off (it's cold meat pies and fucking red hot Bovril ONLY you middle class corporate gobs of arse gravy)

Seeing the demise of the once great Liverpool simply echoes the loss of the game I fell in love with.

I feel for the Liverpool fans.

I take no pleasure in watching their downfall from afar.

Demise is too strong a word. There's too much history. It will be turned around. Perhaps not by Hodgson, but I hope so!

As for NF they should be in the premiership and I look forward to their return!

In order for Liverpool to return they need serious investment. That's the problem nowadays, you don't turn it around on the pitch anymore. It's all about finances. Just hearing the Liverpool fans on the radio blaming the lack of investment from the current owners has put them where they are.

Hodgson can't turn it round, while the longer they are out of the CL and no mega rich investors come in the further they fall behind.

I really like Hodgson, thought he did a great job at Fulham but the expectations isn't as great neither is the history.

What is it 20 years without winning the league ? How many more years before they do it again ?

They have a great history but that's what it is. You'll end up sounding like us Villa fans banging on about how big we were at the turn of the century (19th to 20th that is).

Sorry but AV vs Liverpool isn't a comparison. The revenue that Liverpool can generate puts them in a different league. As for the Liverpool need investment argument, how much investment have blackpool had! They need more money but I think it's more about the soul of the club!

What comparison I was being ironic and speaking from experience. Nothing annoys me more as Chelsea spend billions and win trophies galore that huge number of Villa fans will come out with the "They haven't got our tradition". Bet they are gutted.

Great revenue when you have had huge debts that under any other business would put you out of existence. 10 years ago you had more revenue than Chelsea.

You have a ground that can no longer compete with two of your main competitors and can't get away with charging silly money for tickets like the London brigade can.

We finished higher than Liverpool last year but you got more revenue. Well done, they got fuck all for it though as they interest on their debts soaked it all up.

I'll repeat it, until a wealthy owner comes in Liverpool will continue to fall behind. They are in trouble of even going in to administration if RBS decide to call their loan in.

All you have said has nothing to do with what happens on the pitch, which right now is pretty dire.

Football is about to be what happens on the pitch, not on a bank balance - turnover or debt.

"Football is about to be what happens on the pitch, not on a bank balance - turnover or debt." Isn't that what I stated? It's more about the soul of the club than the finances at the moment! I hope AV do well. I have nothing against them.

My apologies I misunderstood your comment.

Teams like Liverpool should not be in this state. After what has happened to Portsmouth, Liverpool and Man U, you have to question who at the FA is checking the worthiness of people being allowed to buy football clubs.

Fear not,there is another bunch of Yanks waiting in the wings to save the day! Hang on,isn't this what caused the chaos in the first place..?

Fear not,there is another bunch of Yanks waiting in the wings to save the day! Hang on,isn't this what caused the chaos in the first place..?

Wait, what? The chaos was caused *because* they're American? :-/

Not Because they are American,just find it ironic that the potential solution could come from an organisation run along similar lines...

I frankly couldn't care less if Liverpool go to the wall. They've no more right than any other Club to be in existence and the stuff Sky are saying about Liverpool FC's importance to the UK just passes me by. The owners have the Club in a lot of debt, the same as many other Clubs. It seems that the owners have actually divvied up quite a bit of cash in the past which Benitez spent well on some occasions and completely squandered on others (Aquilani £20m as one example). If Benitez had spent the cash well and they were in the top 4 I doubt most Liverpool fans would give two hoots about who owned their Club. Feel sorry for Hodgson, he's taken on a mess, a moderate squad with no real chance in the medium term to turn it around but I suppose he went in with his eyes open.

The likely new owner is not rich enough IMHO, if you look at £300M+ for a new stadium, £230M+ dept (which he say's he will clear) and money for new players (another £50M+), so nearly £600M investment + other costs. the guy is worth US800M, so it would take all his cash to do this without borrowing, so this isn't going to happen. Looks like mega debt + new stadium or less mega debt and old stadium to me. So no change then.

Poulson is a laugh, may Woy buy many more like him. I vote for Woy buying Bobo Balde.