Due to a configuration issue, PayPal are currently configuring some changes for us therefore PayPal’s gateway is temporarily unavailable. We have set up a safe alternative gateway called Stripe so please use this for your Super Wammer subscription upgrades. Many thanks. Tech Team

The SEARCH function is currently under review due to a large number of old unstructured posts. This may take up to 1-2 days to complete. Alternatively, please use Google search; for eg: amplifier site:hifiwigwam.com/forum/

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Shakey

Proac Studio 140 (and friends)

24 posts in this topic

They certianly look the business in your living room!:cool:It also sounds like your room is a similar size to mine which is interesting. I have been thinking about the size of my living room and wondering if some of my window shopping speaker selections may be a tad on the large side. Definitely going for home dem!

Thanks for that reply, particularly useful!

Silly questions for you zygote-

does it make much difference if you have the tweeters in or out?

How far away from the rear wall are the speakers?

nosey bleeder I know, but these things may matter!

Shakey wrote:

They certianly look the business in your living room!:cool:It also sounds like your room is a similar size to mine which is interesting. I have been thinking about the size of my living room and wondering if some of my window shopping speaker selections may be a tad on the large side. Definitely going for home dem!

Thanks for that reply, particularly useful!

You really need to home dem, some rooms can eat bass, other's, mine among them seem to amplify it. Plasterboard dot and dab finished walls seem to need more bass than plaster onto brick work- I tried quiet a few speakers before I settled on the current Rega 3's, as some just turned my room into a boom box. everything I played turned into a boom boom thud soundtrack.

dudywoxer wrote:

Silly questions for you zygote-

does it make much difference if you have the tweeters in or out?

ProAc say to put tweeters in.

I've been too scared to do anything else, for fear I'll cause the end of the world, the overthrow of the monarchy (hmmm, now there's a thought), pestilence, plagues, hurricanes....oh, you get the picture...Mr Tyler says so, so I've done it & I'm an audio-wuss.

Boxer

Well funnily enough, have just finished redecorating my living room and we had the walls skimmed, so there's a new layer of plaster throughout. It'll be interesting to see how this works out.

These speakers will be a massive upgrade for me and I wasn't even particularly aware of home dem when I bought my previous speakers. So what's the deal? Do you borrow a pair, see if you like 'em, if you don't take them back and borrow a different pair? Or do you borrow a couple of pairs for back to back comparison? Sorry if this seems adaft question, but I want to do this right!

The dealers I've had home dem kit from would lend out their demonstrator models for a week or something, take your credit card details in case you had nefarious thoughts, & away you would go & listen at home to your heart's content.

Others may do things such as essentially take a credit card payment, then refund it on safe return of kit.

Check with dealer in question.

Boxer

Tweeters in just like ProAc say...........I too am afraid of causing the end of the world by placing them out lol!

I haven't bi wired the speakers as everyone frowned when I suggested it.

I should also say that prior to hearing these there was no way I'd considered spending that much on a pair of new speakers. I am so glad I bought them now. I am sure there are others that would fit my setup and could possibly image a little better but these'll do fine for the present. I am still blown over every time I sit down to listen. Long may it continue.

OK pair of wusses then,

Home dems vary from dealer to dealer- most just take your blood and let you have it back when you return the demo item. One lump at a time is the best way for me, back to backs can get messy. Take a pair home, sort out the placement, listen and note the good/bad stuff. If your like me it takes a while for it all to sink in. Take back and swap for next set.

You should be able to narrow down the choice with in shop demo's, as some will obviously be not what you are looking for.

Aaaah, but I have bi-wired my ProAcs, so I'm not as much of a wuss as Zygote!:P

Very brave really Boxer