• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
robbyrtp

Sony launch new sacd player

22 posts in this topic

Sorry if this is a stupid question but what effect would a separate DAC have on this machine, would it negate the SACD playback?

there are classical releases on SACD coming out from Sony, and lots of other labels.

Sorry if this is a stupid question but what effect would a separate DAC have on this machine, would it negate the SACD playback?

It would only work for standard CDs. There will be no digital output for SACDs which use totally different encoding.

Thanks Alan. I don't know anything about SACD but this machine interests me given the price.

What would I really gain by buying one.

Retail ~ Unfortunatly not , I was having a mooch around for one a while back to no avail :(

A shame, and bizarre given the investment that probably went into its production. There seem to be SACD enthusiasts falling over themselves to try and source this machine, so there is a market for it. I get better CD sound from the 5400 than from the Benchmark DAC, and its SACD playback is superb. If the new machine comes anywhere near it's a bargain.

The Wiz

wouldn't bother unless you are really into classical music.

Meaning its better sound with classical or that is all that is available?

I'd guess that around 95% of what is available on SACD is classical. Some classic Jazz and rock re-issues, but overwhelmingly classical.

Shame really as some of DSDs I have are of the stunning variety, Linn etc. I have a feeling that BD is where classical will head. Already seeing some "reference" quality classical BDs in the hifi press.

A shame, and bizarre given the investment that probably went into its production. There seem to be SACD enthusiasts falling over themselves to try and source this machine, so there is a market for it. I get better CD sound from the 5400 than from the Benchmark DAC, and its SACD playback is superb. If the new machine comes anywhere near it's a bargain.

The Wiz

Given the pricing disparity of the decks one must assume lesser parts under the hood , However one never knows , You wouldn't bet against Sony producing a machine that gets pretty close to the 5400es even at that price