Alan

Theta DAC for sale - DS Pro Progeny, with freebies!

13 posts in this topic

I need to recoup some funds toward my new DAC (another Theta)…I present to you my all American Battleship! This thing sounds awesome, a really weighty presentation with fluidity in the bass I haven’t heard before from CD. This is Theta’s lowest range DAC to feature their signature DSP chipset & programming, which set them apart in the nineties. (I am converted....:doh:) Their range-topper was over £6k! :shock:

100_2378.jpg

This DAC was built in 1994, it is almost identical to the Theta DS Pro Prime II; it uses the same (18 bit) Burr-Brown PCM 67 DAC chip, and a Motorola 56001 DSP microprocessor; that makes this DAC more of a computer… It also features a comprehensive power supply with two high quality transformers – one for the digital board & one for the analogue section. The main difference between this & the more expensive Pro Prime II is the Progeny is single ended, ie: not a balanced design. That said, there is reportedly hardly any difference in performance between the two models, which made the Prime II unpopular.

This DAC was released at the same time as the Theta DS Pro Generation V as its budget sibling.

This Theta DS Pro Progeny is in excellent condition, I reckon nine out of ten cosmetically. It is UK 240v and functions perfectly in every way. It has a single Co-ax input & an Optical input, and a switch to invert phase. It accepts 31 kHz, 44.1 kHz & 48 kHz, so it reads CDs and also Digital TV/DVD output.

Included in this sale is an IEC power cord, original manual but no original box. I am including also a spare set of ‘Stands Unique’ Carbon fibre isolation stands as pictured, they work by sinking vibration out of the casing to ground, so improving the firmness of the bass. I will also include my favorite digital interconnect, a 50cm NVA Digital SoundPipe (I have another). This is a rigid digital cable that must be pre-bent by hand before plugging in. It is inconvenient to install, but I find these cables release so much mid-range texture that they are worth it. If you want something more flexible I have a very good Beresford cable (nearer 1m) I can give you instead if you want.

Value:

• Original cost Theta DS Pro Progeny: £1,400
  • NVA Digital SoundPipe: £35.00
  • Stands Unique Isolation Stands: £40.00 (approx)

Total of £1,475 new, I would like £325 (to offset against my new DAC) for which I will include UK mainland shipping with UPS & insurance at my expense. :)

100_2386.jpg

100_2392.jpg

Copyof100_2380.jpg

Copyof100_2383.jpg

More pics here.

I'm sooooooo poor. sniff.... :dunno:

My Dac hates co-ax too. double sniff...

You can save for my even more outstanding DS Pro Basic III if you like :P ; it will probably have to go this Autumn when I move to computer audio & higher rez music files. I have my beady eyes on a few DACs, which I'll try to Dem over the suimmer. Having said that, the Theta might prevail... The Basic III is even more of a good thing than the Progeny. :)

in that case Alan - give me first dibs!!!! Pretty please? :)

:shock:Seriously? That was a throw away comment you know! I will of course contact you first in a few months, though I don't have a clue how to value it yet as I bought it in from the States. It runs off a hefty Tacima 500va step down transformer (that should do it:cool:) and an American IEC lead. And it loves Co-ax. And Toslink, and AES/EBU whatever-it-is. It is a very lovely machine indeed.

oooooh TOSlink too - oh goody! Now wheres my brother, time for a Reservoir Dogs style chat about that money he owes me...