Psilonaught

Considering swap/ PXing my Unison Research Unico DMs

19 posts in this topic

I have a mint pair with cryo mullard tubes, 500w as a monoblocked pair...they are stunning and built like tanks

However I will be almost certainly changing my speakers to a pair of Proac 1SC's due to wife pressures and I'd like to try a quality valve power amp.

The unicos are worth £1400-500 for the pair

Anyone interested in a swap?

Argh. :doh: Box swapping temptation.

There's my Graaf 5050 valve power amp which cost me £1400 ..... :dunno: ..... but I love it and it drives my speakers very nicely.

Hmmm ..... might be tempted to try if either party can decide not to go ahead with the deal after trying it .... synergy is all!

Hiya

I have to admit your 5050 would probably be ideal. You would be doing be a favour even if you decided not to go for the unicos as I would be able to tell if the graaf was worth hunting down somewhere else. Unfortunately I don't drive (although learning) so am not mobile however.

I do completely love my unicos and TBH I can't find any reason to swap them, but they are quite bulky and I always wanted to try a full valve amp

Damn - I was almost hoping you'd tell me not to be so cheeky! :D

Are yours like this? http://www.ukd.co.uk/product.asp?ProductID=276&d=1

Hmmm ... a long drive for me ... and would have to do it again if we didn't go ahead and keep the swappsies ... I'll ponder for a bit.

Someone else snap them up and make it easy for me!

Damn - I was almost hoping you'd tell me not to be so cheeky! :D

Are yours like this? http://www.ukd.co.uk/product.asp?ProductID=276&d=1

Hmmm ... a long drive for me ... and would have to do it again if we didn't go ahead and keep the swappsies ... I'll ponder for a bit.

Someone else snap them up and make it easy for me!

lol sorry! Normally I would just go and buy the amp I was thinking about moving on to then sell the existing boxes but house building and saving for a first car have put a stop to that, so swapsies would be perfect. More wife acceptable too.

Great - one pink, one green! Cool :cool:

They do look nice.

Can they be stacked?

Ponder, ponder .... do you know of any online reviews of them?

All I can find is this quote on the UKD website ...

Unison Research Unico Pre and DM

..." Whatever you put through the Unico duo comes out extremely natural-sounding.

The sense of scale to instrument sounds, and the way those instruments separate out within the soundfield is particularly exact and beguiling. Then there`s the bass. Rich, deep and full, it can be understated when the music demands it, and gut-churning when called for. I must confess to holding on to this pre and power amplifier for a lot longer than a reviewer has any right to. It doesn`t make the kind of shiny-shiny sounds that instantly attract listeners, but instead the Unico Pre and DM play the long game. They are the natural choice for long-term listening"

ALAN SIRCOM

Great - one pink, one green! Cool :cool:

They do look nice.

Can they be stacked?

Ponder, ponder .... do you know of any online reviews of them?

All I can find is this quote on the UKD website ...

Unison Research Unico Pre and DM

..." Whatever you put through the Unico duo comes out extremely natural-sounding.

The sense of scale to instrument sounds, and the way those instruments separate out within the soundfield is particularly exact and beguiling. Then there`s the bass. Rich, deep and full, it can be understated when the music demands it, and gut-churning when called for. I must confess to holding on to this pre and power amplifier for a lot longer than a reviewer has any right to. It doesn`t make the kind of shiny-shiny sounds that instantly attract listeners, but instead the Unico Pre and DM play the long game. They are the natural choice for long-term listening"

ALAN SIRCOM

Err yes and you even joined in Jerry :doh:

http://www.hifiwigwam.com/showthread.php?18178-Unico-DM-Pre-Power-Combo&highlight=unico+pre%2Fpower

Tee Hee - so I did ... and my post ended with this ....

.... I wonder if I can get hold of a Unico DM power amp or two .... :cool:

Oh sod it. I can feel a trip to sarf eest Lunden coming up. :)

.... I'll sleep on it and see how I feel about it in the morning.

..... do they get hot? Can they be stacked?

Tee Hee - so I did ... and my post ended with this ....

Oh sod it. I can feel a trip to sarf eest Lunden coming up. :)

.... I'll sleep on it and see how I feel about it in the morning.

..... do they get hot? Can they be stacked?

Yes they get pretty hot although not hand burningly so, however I wouldn't recommend stacking them tbh

Yes they get pretty hot although not hand burningly so, however I wouldn't recommend stacking them tbh

Damn - I've even run out of excuses ..... I have just measured up my shelving and they'll both just fit side by side, sideways on a single shelf. :) In fact they'll just fit facing forwards.

Hmmm .... what the hell. A PM will shortly be heading your way, James. :^

Yee-ha ! The trial swap deal is on. :oj: