Mothman

Heco 120 S Bookshelf Speakers 4 ohm?

3 posts in this topic

I'm Trying to put together a cheap system for a spare room.

I've been offered a pair of Heco 120 S Bookshelf speakers (around 10 yrs old) but can find very little about this model on the net, though I understand Heco make some reasonable kit.. Anyone come across this model and know if they are any good? I'm a bit worried because they are described as 4 ohms but I'd like to drive em with an old Technics SU-V2 amp like this one http://www.vintagetechnics.info/integrated/suv2.htm that I have gathering dust in the loft, but not sure if this would end up cooking the amp? Also not sure if the price is fair he's asking £45 for the speakers but would probably budge a little.

Rich

I bought a pair of Heco 4000s in 1971 and they're still going strong, now being used by my daughter. I also have a pair of little Hecos (forgotten which number) in my workshop. Fine little 'speakers for the size.

As to the amplifier, if it's for a spare room, and you're not going to be having too many parties in there, I should think it will be OK. Amps of that vintage are somewhat current limited compared with today's amps, so it will run out of current into 4 ohms if played very loud. At normal volumes, I can't see it being a problem.

S.

Thanks for the reply, I took the plunge and went and picked up the Heco's tonight. Though probably +20yrs old they are in mint condition and came with all original packaging including manual and guarantee card. The manual says they can be happily driven by Amps from 2-8ohms if only one pair are connected so I should be OK:).

After a quck 2 CD's worth of listening intital impressions are good with quite a large sound for a bookshelf sized speaker, though I'm not sure the old Technics is cabable of getting the best from them. When I get chance I'll hook em up with the Sansui amp on my main system which is a bit more detailed to see if there's a difference. I think they may also benefit from some stands rather than being sat on the floor.

Rich