Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dannish

Scratched CDs'

22 posts in this topic

One of my CDs' got damaged in the car by not putting it back in its case.:( Last 3 tracks were unplayable and you could see the damage. Using Autosol metal polish mixed with T cut, I was able to restore the CD:). It took a while and i would see how many seconds would pass before it started to skip and each polish gained a few more. Took about 30 minutes. Not sure if this will be a long term repair but at least i can do a rip and burn now. Hope this tip is of use:?

Admin

Yes thanks Andi. Always put your cd's back in their cases. Thats a good tip for everyone;)

rockmeister wrote:

:^

anyone know why tracks stutter and skip occasionally...like a stammer then a jump, when there's no visible problem on the CD surface?

It can be hard to see defects. As i polished the damaged disc, visable damage was almost impossible to see. Just a slight mottling in the plastic

rockmeister wrote:

anyone know why tracks stutter and skip occasionally...like a stammer then a jump, when there's no visible problem on the CD surface?

Have they been left in sunlight? Sometimes this can damage the refelctive layer.

Davewhityetagain wrote:

brasso T cut and smokers toothpaste are all good for cds needing marks removed

:shock: never heard of that before! :lmao::lmao:

is it full of heavy abrasives to get those nasty yellow/orange stains out? :puke::puke:

Biscuit wrote:

Davewhityetagain wrote:

is it full of heavy abrasives to get those nasty yellow/orange stains out? :puke::puke:

yep, pretty much.:)

I always use a white toothpaste (the gell ones don't normally have an abrasive). Another method is to rip the cd using EAC. It has recovered music from discs that have been terribly mistreated. Burn the resulting files to a CDR at slow speeds and voila!

Biscuit wrote:

Davewhityetagain wrote:

Smokers tooth paste has abrasives in it does disks no problem

Great news...compare this with the vinyl cleaning "oh my god don't touch that surface with anything less than a purpose built machine" thread. Smokers toothpaste Dave...top reply!:)

rockmeister wrote:

Great news...compare this with the vinyl cleaning "oh my god don't touch that surface with anything less than a purpose built machine" thread. Smokers toothpaste Dave...top reply!:)

tis true :cool::cool: tried it in fact have spent weeks testing stuff to repair cds with good knows how many x boxes marks one two threes :Dplay stations and little cubes that take small disks, I have my work cut out repairing disks for the kids :)

rockmeister wrote:

If the disc is OK, then it's (worst case) a dying laser unit or(best case/most likely) dirt/dust on the pick-up lens.

If the case is easy to open you can get-in and carefully swab it off with a soft paintbrush and a little IPA, or if not, a "cleaner" CD with brushes will do the job. Clean the little brushes with IPA after use so as not to wipe the crud back on next time you use it...

churz, eofs