Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sy247

Consonance CD players

35 posts in this topic

Well, assuming that you can actually get the droplet through your front door (it's more of an ocean, than a droplet - consonance being ironic methinks), you should be pleasantly surprised. It's a tube output player, and you'll know it! Not the most tonally accurate, but certainly very smooth, warm and lush sounding. Great for long-term listening if you ask me.

Heard it at Heathrow, through cyber 300B's and those awesome coincident total victory speakers :shock:

DT

Thanks DT, that's really useful. I think I will have to arrange a demo.

From the review that I read on 6moons it suggests that the 2.2 Linear is not as warm sounding and as a result more tonally accurate, not to mention cheaper so I think I will have to demo that as well.

Simon

I heard a Droplet in a different set-up at Heathrow - with a Quinpu integrated amp and Jas Audio standmounts - and it was as screechingly bright as a screeching bright thing.

The Micromega Aria was a lot better in the same system. (And half the size.)

meninblack wrote:

I heard a Droplet in a different set-up at Heathrow - with a Quinpu integrated amp and Jas Audio standmounts - and it was as screechingly bright as a screeching bright thing.

The Micromega Aria was a lot better in the same system. (And half the size.)

You're right, that particular set-up sounding flippin' awful. One can only assume it was down to the amp & speakers not being properly run-in, because the Droplet sounded sweet as a nut in the Metroplois room.

Does the 2.2 have a tube output too? What transport mech does it use?

DT

icehockeyboy wrote:

Try the Eastern Electrics Minimax..................:D

yep agreed, it beats the consonence hands down, as for the Jas orsa, it's not screechy at all, in fact they are smooth and dynamic, the Quinpu a8000, (the a8000 looks like a valve amp, nbut is solid state, been listeing to it all day today with the minimax, and lyngdorf cd1 and the Jas audio odin floorstander, was pretty damn fine, and as much as anyone needs) jas orsa's and ee minimax is a superb well balanced and musical system, the minimax is a stunning player for the money, and looks terrific in Black.

The East-sound unit is another unit to consider, IMO is more than the match of the minimax same price I believe, and an esoteric lookalike lol!!!

The 2.2 isn't actually a bad player with the right kit (needs a lot of mains treatment though). The dropet, "interesting" thats all I'm going to say on the matter :D

Mr Coherent wrote:

The East-sound unit is another unit to consider, IMO is more than the match of the minimax same price I believe, and an esoteric lookalike lol!!!

The 2.2 isn't actually a bad player with the right kit (needs a lot of mains treatment though). The dropet, "interesting" thats all I'm going to say on the matter :D

WM, did you not find the Eastsound E5 a tad bright? Certainly doesn't cast a good light on compressed recordings. Excellent bass/prat though.

AK - you would give EE the thumbs-up wouldn't you, Mr. Importer! What transport mech does it use and what flavour of tube does the output stage use? 2C51's? (btw - off topic, bought a pair of Amphion Xenon's recently - what a speaker!!)

DT

DT, we import other stuff too, and I would still reccomend the EE, we offer a money back gurantee with this player, we don't get any back!!!!!!

the valves are 6922's, not sure on the transport, but it's a cd drive, not a room drive, will try and find out.

Mr Coherent wrote:

DT,

I think that depends on the system a great deal.

Certainly no nasties on either the lab or the main demo systems.

Well, mine was a MkVI. Not sure if they're made any changes to the more recent versions.

It certainlydigs up a plenty of detail for a £500 spinner. Found it quite fatiguing to be honest, but I know I'm definitely in the minority when it comes to not liking the E5 a great deal!

AK - 6922's - great choice :cool:

DT re importing, there is slightly more money if we sell the consonance, than if we sell the minimax, due to price difference, the consonence is softer overall, the minimax sounds more natural to me, thats my honest opinion.

Well, I don't think the Droplet sounds natural at all, so we can agree there (assuming the 2.2 has similar topology). Regardless of that, it's still a very nice sounding player.

Real shame that with all the engineering expertise and sheer quantity of METAL available to the Chinese manufacturers, that they don't build proper VRDS-NEO style transport mechs for their players. Seems all the tin goes into the casing.

Why do they rely on KHM/CDM/VAM mechs so much? Pisses me off big time :x.

DT