Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
harv

Krell CAST connections

10 posts in this topic

I see a huge benefit of this technology between DAC and pre. The reason is that the sound-degrading current to voltage conversion stage of the DAC is omitted. Also, it forces Krell to use current output DACs (better than voltage output). The "glare" and "grain" that you hear with a lot of DACs likely has a lot to do with common opamp-based I/V converters.

Yomanze wrote:

I see a huge benefit of this technology between DAC and pre. The reason is that the sound-degrading current to voltage conversion stage of the DAC is omitted. Also, it forces Krell to use current output DACs (better than voltage output). The "glare" and "grain" that you hear with a lot of DACs likely has a lot to do with common opamp-based I/V converters.

I use a one box CDP, I was thinking about the connection from Pre to power... as the new power amp only has balanced or CAST connections...

If does make a big difference then I'm pretty much limited to a Krell pre...

hifi addict wrote:

There is quite a discussion and a well know US sales website. Wigwam member Class A has played around with CAST and has settled with it.

Indeed, I think he settled on Transparent CAST cables rather than the Krell ones, but Class a can tell you which he uses I am sure.

Hi Harv

Yes definitely!

I have a complete Krell CAST system--CDP to Preamp to Power Amp--CAST cables are Transparent NOT Krell.

Previously I used balanced cables but there is a substantial difference.

All a bit pricy but Krell is!

Regards

Like many makes, Krell works best when all components are Krell and it is designed for CAST.

The sound is more mellifluous, a bit more air, slightly cleaner mid and base.

BTW Oxford audio have a Krell 400Xi for sale. It may not suit but it's a good way to start down the Krell path.

I've justgot a FPB power amp... :)

but I'll still be using my Advantage pre for now... hmm looks like I might have to try and find a nice Krell pre in the future...