JUST IN - A Quote From This Year's Main Sponsor Elite Audio

'Quite simply the best show we have ever had the pleasure to exhibit! Huge amounts of enthusiasm from so many Wammers who clearly share our passion for music. Can't wait for next year..........'

Mark Cargill - CEO Elite Audio

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
daspaceman

tube integrated amps

60 posts in this topic

I`m considering a tube amp, something like a copland cta-405 or a leben sc-600 for my proacs response d2, but i`m afraid of doing so because of the maintenance and hiss or hum they may produce.

From your experience , Do tube amps In reality need lots of maintenance and care? Are they reliable?

Thanks

In my experience (with a tubed power amp rather than an integrated), no. It pretty much silent unless you have it cranked to max and put your ear right against the speaker, then there is an only just audible hiss - silent as the grave at the listening position. I've had to change the power valves once in 4 years and that's the only reliability maintenance issue I've had.

However that's my amp, others may hum/hiss and explode on a regular basis for all I know. I doubt if something as well made as either the Copland or Leben would fit into that category though. I'd exect them to be very good indeed.

daspaceman wrote:

I`m considering a tube amp, something like a copland cta-405 or a leben sc-600 for my proacs response d2, but i`m afraid of doing so because of the maintenance and hiss or hum they may produce.

From your experience , Do tube amps In reality need lots of maintenance and care? Are they reliable?

Thanks

Like anything else if you buy quality you don't have problems.

Good Tube amps need little or no maintenance.

I have never had a tube amp hiss or hum, valve noise through speakers would probably only be apparent with much higher sensitivity speakers than yours

You will need to be a bit careful of matching with the Proacs at 88db and I don't know how they are to drive.

The Copeland is Class A/B 50W with KT88 so should be fine especially for loud rock music! although my choice would be the Leben as long as your room isn't huge and you don't play at silly volumes.

daspaceman wrote:

Thanks

Do tube amps In reality need lots of maintenance and care? - Not in my opinion.

Are they reliable? - Just as with solid state, good ones are good & bad ones are bad.

Based on what I read on this and other forums, the point at which problems seem to occur is when people get a case of 'the need to tube roll'. I would use the valves that come with the amp for a few months whilst looking for a well priced set of replacements. I would pull out the supplied valves which would become my known good spares (assuming a new or very low mileage S/H amp)slot in the new ones and expect to just listen to music with them for the next 5-10 years.

Paul

daspaceman wrote:

I think i`ll stick to something like a plinius or sugden than! :cool:

I should point out that the tube replacement was on a set of valves of unknown provenance. I have no idea how old they were before I owned the amp.

Like the man said good ones are no problem at all. Copland and Leben are without doubt good ones. I'd love a Leben.

Super Wammer

IME, no more or less reliable than solid state. Power tubes don't last forever, but then neither do comparatively hard-driven power transistors. Replacing valves is simple and in any decent design, only very bad luck would see anything else being damaged.

In that respect, valve amps are generally cheaper and simpler to repair than solid state as well.

Over the years, I've never managed to blow up a valve amp and I've never had one go bang either. In that time, I have comprehensively destroyed two solid state power amps. A poll here would be interesting, but based on people I've heard about and talked to, I'm willing to bet that more people have spent more fixing solid-state amps than on valve ones.

Hum and hiss? Properly designed amps, whether valve or ss don't have any problems. With the gain up to absolute max on my system, it is silent.

Thanks all for the reassurance .. I`m really confused as to what to do because of this matter (reliability)... maybe it`s just in my mind!

I know from what i read that leben and proac go hand in hand..

Even so with sugden .

Will i be able to use for example the leben sc600 to power my 2 front proacs while watching a movie, or leben has it`s limitations?

Thanks

I would also add that before you ever buy any product, but especially a valve based one, I'd get as much information together on the valves used and their likely cost. It just makes sense to know what you are letting yourself in for - some valves can be ridiculously (over)priced or just plain difficult to find.

Paul

daspaceman wrote:

Thanks

I've run a Leben CS600 with Procs (110s). There's no hiss and it's a lovely match. Can't comment on reliability, couldn't afford to keep it long!

mrwippy wrote:

I would also add that before you ever buy any product, but especially a valve based one, I'd get as much information together on the valves used and their likely cost. It just makes sense to know what you are letting yourself in for - some valves can be ridiculously (over)priced or just plain difficult to find.

Paul

A very good point but the Leben'll take just about anything !

Ian wrote:

mrwippy wrote:

Paul

A very good point but the Leben'll take just about anything !

Indeed it would certainly be one of the integrated ampsI'd be interested in owning, but I already have a similarly spec'd amp.

Paul

tryant wrote:

rabski wrote:
I'm willing to bet that more people have spent more fixing solid-state amps than on valve ones.

Oh, good. I could use a few quid. How much do you want to bet?:D

If you want reliability, buy Bryston!

Can't argue with a 20 year warranty plus large amounts of serious grunt.

A Quality Integrated is an excellent introduction into Valve Amplification perhaps visual perceptionplays its part due to the nature of most designshidingthe Scary stufffrom view.

Sliding scale ~

:pants:'s That didn't come out quite in the orderintended , still I'm sure yall can work it out for yourselves