Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Neilb

Got Me a Fixie!

27 posts in this topic

Boughtone of theseyesterday. I've finally gone and joined the single speed brigade. (im cheating though as the back wheel is reversible and I use the side which enables me to coast which apparently makes me a total fucking loser and unable to join the fixed wheel bortherhood.

Thing is I don't want my downhill options to be 1, spin my legs like fucking roadrunner or...2. Go down hill really slowly.

I like simplicity but I'm not daft.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I must admit I still don't get the fascination with fixed wheel bikes. I am even more confused by what you are doing? It's a fixie that is not fixed.. so you just have one gear? Why?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

HiFiWigWam wrote:

I must admit I still don't get the fascination with fixed wheel bikes. I am even more confused by what you are doing? It's a fixie that is not fixed.. so you just have one gear? Why?

well its the simplicity. Significantly less weight. Much less to go wrong. Cheaper too. For example you just get a really nice frame, wheels and lightweight for the same price as a bike with heavy weight and mediocre parts all round (and gears of course).

Its all flat pretty much here in Ho Chi Minh so this is pretty ideal for me.

The whole thing of being at one with your machine and the road.....well....I'll leave that to the other closet or open fixies on the wam who can probably elaborate far more eloquently than I on the subject.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I can see the fun of such a light Bike. It's being in Brighton that makes it hard to understand I guess! Would you cycle up Elm Grove on it ;-)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ClassikFan wrote:

Get the fixed gear on and start practising stoppies you wimp.

:D

and remove the brakes whilst im at it! Thats what the hardcore fixie brigade are into. Apparently its caused a few problems in the states as riding sans breaks is illegal in many states plus it makes insurance claims void....

....plus its a bit daft:nup:

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Injector wrote:

Nothing much goes wrong with derailleurs and they're cheap to fix. I'm with the boss on this one, why not have the correct gear for any given road/incline? :?

this isa fair point. I've enjoyed many years of fuss free derailleur equipped riding both on mountain and road bikes.

I guess there is a certain beauty in anything simple though. The difference between some graphic equaliser equiped beast and an early naim amp

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Neilb wrote:

Injector wrote:
Nothing much goes wrong with derailleurs and they're cheap to fix. I'm with the boss on this one, why not have the correct gear for any given road/incline? :?

this isa fair point. I've enjoyed many years of fuss free derailleur equipped riding both on mountain and road bikes.

I guess there is a certain beauty in anything simple though. The difference between some graphic equaliser equiped beast and an early naim amp

Ah but at least your early Naim amp had a full frequency response - it handled peaks and troughs! :P

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For the serious cyclist fixed wheel is normally used during the winter months as a means of getting fit, which means that you have to pedal 100%. Also used for track racing. Many years ago most racing time trialist also used a fixed wheel.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Neilb wrote:

ClassikFan wrote:
Get the fixed gear on and start practising stoppies you wimp.

:D

and remove the brakes whilst im at it! Thats what the hardcore fixie brigade are into. Apparently its caused a few problems in the states as riding sans breaks is illegal in many states plus it makes insurance claims void....

....plus its a bit daft:nup:

Cycle Couriers in London all seem to ride Fixies with no brakes these days.

Madness if you ask me, but you can get away with just a front brake and legpower to slow you down, make the bike look sleeker too.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

mr.me wrote:

For the serious cyclist fixed wheel is normally used during the winter months as a means of getting fit, which means that you have to pedal 100%. Also used for track racing. Many years ago most racing time trialist also used a fixed wheel.

All very true. I read about this yeaterday. Apparently fixed wheel is best for building what the french call 'souplesse'. the constant motion of the legsis much better for toning and stretching the muscles and keeps you in great condition.

Many clubs still do fixed wheel time trials and hill climbs.

You're right that Orbea is very nice!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.