• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mart

Dont know what to do.

24 posts in this topic

Some of you may have seen that my B&W's are up in the classifieds as I think its time I moved on to a smaller pair of speakers as I seem to have too much bass for the size of my room.

Thing is. . .

I havent a bloody clue what to go for, the Bee & Dubs are open and detailed in the treble, but because of the amount of bass the mids always seems a bit recessed.

I'm thinking ofthe likes of Ruark Etudes / Templers, Dynaudio 42 / 52, or maybe something from Castle or Rega, not sure.

Any ideas chaps?

ART stiletto, don't get a home dem at yer peril :D

I personally thought the B&W 603's I bought had a peculiar frequency response that I couldn't live with, that's why I sold them. Tried all sorts of positions, bungs in and bungs out, yet I couldn't get then to sound right at all, much preferring the cheapo Scott speakers I bought off ebay.

I do like the sound of Ruark speakers and wasn't overwhelmed with what I had previosly heardfrom Rega speakers until we blew the cobwebs out of Mr Wigwam's Juras :D

I second the recommendation for the little Art stilettos. V nice speakers.

The PMC's effen pointed you at would be a good buy, there are also two sets of older Rega's on e-bay ay the moment. If you want new try and have a listen to a set of R3' and R5's from Regas new range, although I understand that there may be a short wait to get them at the moment as the sales volume has caught Rega by surprise. They are a totally different sound the the B&W's. to my old ears much more involving, much quicker, a fair bit clearer (Bright????) not as pronounced in the bass, but it is still present. Nice top end.

Umberto Vanni wrote:

I second the recommendation for the little Art stilettos. V nice speakers.

I third it, but would also recommend the Expression V6s as worth a listen too. After hearing the Expression V6s I found the Stilletto 6s were less detailed. depends on whether you think it's worth nearly doubling the price... Vivid Audio B1 is a great fun speaker too, but it's getting to silly money at that price.

What amp have you got Mart - if you have power you could consider 2nd hand 1.3 Contours?

Dynaudio Contour 1.3mk2! I used to have a pair of DM603 s2's. They were sold in three months. Great bass but a very restrained balance. Splashy treble. Not neutral at all!

There's a used pair of Contour's for sale on the HFC forum. A bargain,with dedicated Dynaudio stands (RRP £265), at under £595. The speaker alone has an RRP of £1,200. Popular speakers as, apartfrom my good self of course,Curtis, Kirk (Picard) andRay70 also own a pair...

Jezzer wrote:

Dynaudio Contour 1.3mk2! I used to have a pair of DM603 s2's. They were sold in three months. Great bass but a very restrained balance. Splashy treble. Not neutral at all!

There's a used pair of Contour's for sale on the HFC forum. A bargain,with dedicated Dynaudio stands (RRP £265), at under £595. The speaker alone has an RRP of £1,200. Popular speakers as, apartfrom my good self of course,Curtis, Kirk (Picard) andRay70 also own a pair...

Indeed I do, and they are a stunning pair of speakers. Thumping bass and open detailed midrange. Be weary of the advert in HFC though - the seller doesn't specify that they are the Mk2 version. TBH though, I'm not sure what the difference is between the Mk1 and Mk2s.

second - or is it third - dyns 1.3IIs. better than others suggested in this thread IMHO; however, it looks like i might be upgradingmy speakersso if you are interested in a potential bargain,PM me.