Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Hirdy

Newbie after advice on a cd player for first sytem

16 posts in this topic

Hi there,

im after some advice on a new cd player. I have been given some hifi gear from a friend of mine as he says it is cluttering up his office and he can run his music of the pc. It consists of:

Cura ca21 floorstanders

Rotel 850 pre amp

2 x Rotel 850 power amps

Project debut 3 turntable

I have a large cd collection that i have been running of a micro system, i would like to get the best out of a 'proper' hifi so im looking to buy a quality cd player that would complement my system. I dont mind second hand or new and dont really have an idea of budget. Certainly no more than £1000.

I would also be interested in your opinions on interconects and speaker cables as im currently using the freebies.

Thanks a lot

Matt

Hi and Welcome,

I would try the new Rotel 06 CD player,it's had a price drop and Rotels are pretty in the CD department,and will keep everything in the family.

I would try some of the Chord company offerings for cables.

The Rega Apollo is a very nice cdp for a very good price and said to be among the best in sub 1000 pound cdp's. If you wanna go all out on your budget you can also have a look at the new Marantz SA-15S1 witch I find very good sounding and also looks great(blue leds can be turned of!!) and the Naim cd5i is also very unteresting. But even then the Rega is at least as good probably for way less money. Secondhand or ex demo rega planet 2000 is also very good but with the new Apollo they are only interesting if the price is right. Go around and have a listen to some of the brands and make up your mind on witch sound you like.

Rega Apollo - best all-rounder at the price! :^

Even puts some cd players costing 3-4 times as much in their place. :fek:

Jasper wrote:

there's a rotel rcd965bx on ebay at the moment at about £30 with just 6 hours to go. Hifi Choice called it a classic, you could go for that and spend the money on a holiday!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rotel-RCD-965BX-Limited-Edition-CD-player-seperate_W0QQitemZ9736333537QQcategoryZ3272QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

:^- quality cd player. i should know because i have one gathering dust:Not Sure:. i didn't realise quite how good it was until i upgraded to my current speakers and amp. worth a punt for a few quid.

have to second the apollo suggestions (obviously), and was also impressed by the creek classic cd50 when i heard it (and the cd53) but to be honest the apollo is much better value for money IMHO.

Thanks for the replies and warm welcome guys.

I will put the rega and rotel on my list to audition.

Im a bit wary about buying unseen off ebay but i will watch the rotel and if its cheap enough, who knows.

I just have a bit of a concern about the rest of the kit, Will the amp/speakers do justace to a really good cd player. And if not what would be the best place to start to get a really good system.

Thanks guys