Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest User211

Define The True Audiophile

51 posts in this topic

monty36 wrote:

over time forgets it's really all about the music..... stops listening to The Clash and starts listening to wanky Norwegian Jazz trios.......

Well I'm not particularly fond of the Clash, do like jazz trios, but don't think I can be an audiophile as I don't have a hi-fi.

Paul

Edit to say; Nice and quiet here at 4 in the morning - quite relaxing after a long listening session - better get a few hours kip before work, or I might go back and listen to some more jazz trio LP's.....

monty36 wrote:

over time forgets it's really all about the music..... stops listening to The Clash and starts listening to wanky Norwegian Jazz trios.......

Had a listen to the Clash the other day, just to if they might sound ok on decent kit. No they still sounded like shite. I was playing in live bands before and around the time the punk thing got started and have always hated it.

kernow wrote:

monty36 wrote:

good one, haha :)

I often laugh when people say 'its all about the music', when sometimes I'm not sure it is anymore.

I think the people who aim for absolute perfection no matter the cost, believe in the more 'foo' side of things, and often listen to stuff that sounds good, rather than actually listening to music they enjoy.

if it doesn't sound good I won't enjoy it anyway.

Tel wrote:

kernow wrote:
I'm only a newcomer, but this must be one of the only forums I visit where the actual mods seem to make the worst/contraversial posts.

;)

It's one of the few where you can disagree with them and tell them they are idiots and you don't get banned.

But they don't make the worst/controversial posts, they sit on the fence half the time.

Mind you a stupid thread like this deserves all it gets :D

You have no idea how sore my arse is :P

Papa Lazarou wrote:

trusts measurements rather than their ears

:^

... and tries to convince you that it MUST sound better....... if it measures better. :nup:

I'd say the opposite - true audiophiles always say measurements don't matter - it's how it sounds that counts.

I don't agree with that, measurements *do* matter, they're an extremely useful tool.

i_should_coco wrote:

I'd say the opposite - true audiophiles always say measurements don't matter - it's how it sounds that counts.

I don't agree with that, measurements *do* matter, they're an extremely useful tool.

maybe so, but not as useful as two of these -

kernow wrote:

I think the people who aim for absolute perfection no matter the cost, believe in the more 'foo' side of things, and often listen to stuff that sounds good, rather than actually listening to music they enjoy.

Is this the definition of Audiophool?

If so, you should also mention the ad nauseum playback of those same old audiophile approved records in search for a minute "change" in "the sounds". :cool:

R

pmac wrote:

i_should_coco wrote:

attachment.php?id=19985

"By 1814 however, Beethoven was almost totally deaf..." :dunno:

pmac wrote:

i_should_coco wrote:

attachment.php?id=19985

Yep, you'er a fully paid up audiophool. ;-)

User211 wrote:

Duvet wrote:
User211 wrote:
The true audiophile is the true audiophile because...

he redefines being a cnut

14072 cnut posts is possibly a prime defintion, though...

definitely :D

i_should_coco wrote:

"If it measures good and sounds bad, it is bad; if it measures bad and sounds good, you've measured the wrong thing."

Where do I get my t-shirt? :)

paulf-2007 wrote:

monty36 wrote:

Had a listen to the Clash the other day, just to if they might sound ok on decent kit. No they still sounded like shite. I was playing in live bands before and around the time the punk thing got started and have always hated it.

Hang the heathen :grrr::off::pole: