Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rabski

We're amateurs

19 posts in this topic

Over the last few months I've started to get back into guitars and what's become apparent is that if you think the hi-fi world is full of foo merchants and maniacs, you ain't seen nothing.

Between me and SWMBO, we have a handful of reasonably decent things with strings and we thought we'd bought the best bits and pieces for our fun, but the market out there is madness. Valves? Forget our playingaround with a few NOS12AX7s. These guys think nothing of spending £200 plus on a single signal tube. Foo? There are about a hundred alternative sets of strings available for my normal bass, and they all come withthe sortofbullshit that would make even the most open-minded cable believers weep into their hankies.

Cables? Pah, forgetNordost and the like. Just pick up a guitar mag to really see about cables and money. Pickups? Jeez, IOs fall by the wayside compared to some of the pickups out there.Everything is hand-wound from wire that's been through the digestive system of some endangered mammal then cryo-treated, annealed and flown to the antarctic to lie in specially pissed-on snow for six months.

We're second-league here.

DEALER

problem is its in the fingers and all the bad players think they can get it by buying FOO!

It dont make it sound any better, im one of those guys who have spent a fortune on guitars and amps and etc, but im still crap compared to other guys i know who have great skill and feel and ability.

cheers

john

DEALER

problem is its in the fingers and all the bad players think they can get it by buying FOO!

It dont make it sound any better, im one of those guys who have spent a fortune on guitars and amps and etc, but im still crap compared to other guys i know who have great skill and feel and ability.

cheers

john

rabski wrote:

Over the last few months I've started to get back into guitars and what's become apparent is that if you think the hi-fi world is full of foo merchants and maniacs, you ain't seen nothing.

Between me and SWMBO, we have a handful of reasonably decent things with strings and we thought we'd bought the best bits and pieces for our fun, but the market out there is madness. Valves? Forget our playingaround with a few NOS12AX7s. These guys think nothing of spending £200 plus on a single signal tube. Foo? There are about a hundred alternative sets of strings available for my normal bass, and they all come withthe sortofbullshit that would make even the most open-minded cable believers weep into their hankies.

Cables? Pah, forgetNordost and the like. Just pick up a guitar mag to really see about cables and money. Pickups? Jeez, IOs fall by the wayside compared to some of the pickups out there.Everything is hand-wound from wire that's been through the digestive system of some endangered mammal then cryo-treated, annealed and flown to the antarctic to lie in specially pissed-on snow for six months.

We're second-league here.

It depends I for one have spent 1k on one cable in the past and a few wammers will have spent more that £200 on one valve think of the chaps with 300b

no I think there are a few pros on wam

Midlandaudiox wrote:

cheers

john

Does that include pedaling Campag?? Carbon makes a difference eh??!

opusover21 wrote:

Midlandaudiox wrote:

cheers

john

so this is where chumpy's gone....you and he swapped personas for the weekend?

rockmeister wrote:

opusover21 wrote:
Midlandaudiox wrote:

cheers

john

I was trying to work it out as well, but now I understand!

Swiss Tony is the new champion Chumpy.

I am a bit odd...in that I spend tons, i mean too much on my pedal steel rig.. I more easily accept foo for my steel...maybe because I am out there gigging with it and i want to hedge my bets subconciously?

the steel guitar black box(of which I own 3) has similar audio speak..

http://www.sarnomusicsolutions.com/products/sgbb.html

Todd Rundgren says he can hear differences between brands of batteries in his stomp boxes..

rabski wrote:

rockmeister wrote:
opusover21 wrote:
Midlandaudiox wrote:

cheers

john

I was trying to work it out as well, but now I understand!

Swiss Tony is the new champion Chumpy.

Oh dear.

I knew exactly what he meant.

Of course, carbon is fine but I find titanium h/s spacers give better feedback.

Hifi foo still trumps guitar foo by a good margin.

I don’t know of anyone selling wanky mains cables for guitar amps, nor volume knobs made from blessed African roots nor telephone tweaks endorsed by the spirit of Hendrix.

The obsession for many guitarists is for all things vintage. Gotta be vintage, even if it’s just old and rubbish.