Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PinHead

Room treatment - fusk it, I give up

24 posts in this topic

After a bit of messing around with some basic room treatment, I had some small success in taming the top end but not a great deal and not much down in the bass region.

Now, seeing as the 3 panels I made nearly ended in divorce, nay Armageddon (I know thats not spelt right), I sort of take it that 2ft of insulation padded around the room and hanging off the ceiling aint gonna happen.

But, like I said, I had a bit of success and can't bear the thought of missing out.

So - hows about the Beringer Ultracurve thing? Seems too good to be true...

I know it's not 'hi-fi' and all that, but I seem to remember some on here trying it out - so is it worth a go?

I tried one for a while. If was pretty neutral when switched to flat response, but every other setting I tried was worse. :(

I had a few goes at the room equalization, but even with a lot of help and on-line crib sheets I couldn't get sensible results. :nup: I flogged it.

On the positive side, you did spell [i]Armageddon [/i]correctly. :^:D

meninblack wrote:
[quote]I tried one for a while.  If was pretty neutral when switched to flat response, but every other setting I tried was worse. :(

I had a few goes at the room equalization, but even with a lot of help and on-line crib sheets I couldn't get sensible results.  :nup:  I flogged it.

On the positive side, you did spell [i]Armageddon [/i]correctly. :^:D
[/quote]

Christ - thats great news! I thought the 'dd' ought to be wrong but it just felt right.

On to the Ultracuuurve... yeah, I wondered if that might be what happens to me! I'd be interested to hear if anyone has kept one in their system. Have you any other form of room treatment? My room is worse possible case - laminate flooring, sparsely decorated etc :(

Does the Ultracurve have a DAC? ie could I go from the airport express optical digital out into the ultracurve?

wickfut wrote:
[quote]yeah , instead of buying a room EQ , you might as well buy a standard graphic EQ and fiddle with it until you're happy with the sound.[/quote]

Yes, wondered about that. The auto setup thing with a microphone seemed tempting (if not unlikely to work).

Would I need a parametric one to be any use (ie adjustable Q to get narrow band adjustment, so I just kill say the 50Hz peak, not 30-90Hz!)

Yes, it has a DAC and optical input, but only balanced (XLR) analogue outputs.

I had it connected to the processor loop of my DAC. The digital in/out is either optical or AES/EBU on XLR connectors. These can be switched to S/PDIF but you need to make up special cables to run RCA connectors.

My room has no treatment as such, but lots of soft furniture, carpets, heavy curtains and bookcases. I concluded it was good enough without treatment or EQ.

meninblack wrote:
[quote]Yes, it has a DAC and optical input, but only balanced (XLR) analogue outputs.

I had it connected to the processor loop of my DAC. The digital in/out is either optical or AES/EBU on XLR connectors. These can be switched to S/PDIF but you need to make up special cables to run RCA connectors.

My room has no treatment as such, but lots of soft furniture, carpets, heavy curtains and bookcases. I concluded it was good enough without treatment or EQ.[/quote]

Thanks MIB, thats useful. Did you try the DAC? If it's halfway decent (better than my airport express) that might justify 150 squids to try one!

I assume I can make a diff > single ended adapter with a handful of resistors. Probably.

Why not try a big thick rug, and maybe an particularly thick wall carpet, err, hanging? If you have a modern apartment with plain colours and white walls, a chunky Ikea square rug hanging on a wall might be an interesting texture, and work wonders for high frequency nasties.

Sell it to SWMBO as abstract art and you're onto a winner!

PinHead wrote:
[quote]wickfut wrote:
[quote]yeah , instead of buying a room EQ , you might as well buy a standard graphic EQ and fiddle with it until you're happy with the sound.[/quote]

Yes, wondered about that. The auto setup thing with a microphone seemed tempting (if not unlikely to work).

Would I need a parametric one to be any use (ie adjustable Q to get narrow band adjustment, so I just kill say the 50Hz peak, not 30-90Hz!)[/quote]

A parametric would be pretty useless in high Q for your room unless you have a mains hum you'd like to get shut of.

It'd be a waste to spend the dosh on a parametric and then use the entire EQ for one node - when there will be lots.

I have a Behringer DEQ which i don't use now, as i had some new speakers which with a bit of playing around with gave better results. The DEQ is a little gem for room eq. if you set it up right. It has to be done manually to get the best results, which is fairly tricky as the manual isn't very comprehensive. Done automatically you get some weird results. The object is to get a flat response while using a white noise generator, which is in the DEQ.

AmDismal wrote:
[quote]Why not try a big thick rug, and maybe an particularly thick wall carpet, err, hanging? If you have a modern apartment with plain colours and white walls, a chunky Ikea square rug hanging on a wall might be an interesting texture, and work wonders for high frequency nasties.

Sell it to SWMBO as abstract art and you're onto a winner![/quote]

Yeah - we're going to give a rug (another) try. Previously, an animal (2 cats, 2 dogs) will end up pissing on the rug, so we just gave up on that! Gonna give it another go, avoiding wool.

wickfut wrote:
[quote]PinHead wrote:
[quote]wickfut wrote:

Would I need a parametric one to be any use (ie adjustable Q to get narrow band adjustment, so I just kill say the 50Hz peak, not 30-90Hz!)[/quote]

A parametric would be pretty useless in high Q for your room unless you have a mains hum you'd like to get shut of.

It'd be a waste to spend the dosh on a parametric and then use the entire EQ for one node - when there will be lots.[/quote]

Ok, thanks Wickfut. There's a large audible peak at 50odd Hz, just before going awfully quiet at 60odd Hz + a few other wobbles along the way!

wickfut wrote:
[quote]be realistic.

Buy a used DEQ but don't actually have it in circuit.

Use it to position your speakers to the point that the DEQ hardly EQ's anything and then sell the thing on to some other clueless person.[/quote]

yes, thats a good way of looking at it. Finding some one just as clueless as me might be tricky though...

Jim wrote:
[quote]I have a Behringer DEQ which i don't use now, as i had some new speakers which with a bit of playing around with gave better results. The DEQ is a little gem for room eq. if you set it up right. It has to be done manually to get the best results, which is fairly tricky as the manual isn't very comprehensive. Done automatically you get some weird results. The object is to get a flat response while using a white noise generator, which is in the DEQ.[/quote]

Thats interesting, Jim. Interesting the head count of people that keep one in the system = 0 at this time though!

Are you looking to sell your DEQ for a ridiculously small amount of money, by any chance?