Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Emotion Audio

Cleaning vinyl...help!

30 posts in this topic

Right, still getting to grips with this vinyl thing.

First question: Velvet or carbon fibre brush...does it make a difference?

Second questions: I need to do some bulk cleaning on the cheap. I noticed there are several home brew recipes for cleaning solutions, but several slag each other off...anyone have any experience with one that works well?

Third question: Once brew is made, do I just polish on with a lint free cloth? Would prefer not to pay £50 for one of those manual machines.

All help is appreciated.

Cheers,

Jeff

There are two key steps: first you need to loosen and lift the crap in the grooves. That's what the brush and/or solution will do for you.

Then you need to get the loose crap/dirty solution off the record, normally by rinsing or vacuuming.

Home brew method: work a cleaning sloution into the grooves with a brush, rinse under the tap then allow to dry.

Record cleaning machines are better!

Best bet is to get some "AM" record cleaner in a spray bottle and a good micro fibre cloth.

3 or 4 squirts each side and a rub with the cloth !

I find it very effective !

LINK to spray !

A bit time consuming, but if you don't want to spend forty or fifty quid, about your best bet.

Other option is of course soap and water in the sink, does just as good a job !

Rub each side with the NON scouring side of a washing up sponge and rinse in cold water.

If you are planning to clean LPs before selling .. then DON'T .. or at least declare it before making a listing.

The worst LPs I've bought online, have, without exception (apart from some wrongly-graded Oxfam crap - a regular failing these days), been badly cleaned by some idiot (no offence) who did some cleaing on the cheap before sale, knowing he wasn't going to be the ultimate listener.

montesquieu wrote:

been badly cleaned by some idiot (no offence) who did some cleaing on the cheap before sale, knowing he wasn't going to be the ultimate listener.

But I reckon these "idiots" didn't ask for advice on the wam before taking to them with some glass cleaner and a roll of kitchen towel !

Jeff, you cant go wrong with the cleaner I've mentioned, or soapy water.

Other sprays are out there, but I can't vouch for them as I've never used them !

I can vouch for AM cleaner as I have used it !

Jeff,

Buy a cheap Record cleaning machine - an Okki Nokki, Moth or whatever. You will be amazed what happens to even your dirty 70/80s LPs after a proper wash. I even clean my brand new LPs to get rid of the mould release agent used when pressing the vinyl biscuits to make LPs.

My RCM has probably been the best value hi-fi purchase I've ever made.

Charlie

www.charlie-chan.co.uk

I'd advise against spraying a cleaner on and wiping it off with a cloth, it wont properly clean the disk and will no doubt leave a load of shite behind too

Home brew solution, 1 part Isopropyl Alcohol to 3 of distilled water plus a couple of drops of washing up liquid or photographic wetting agent (best). On with a spray bottle (like oven cleaner comes in) gently scrub along the groove with a clean carbon brush. Rinse well with distilled water (it needs quite a lot to flow off the record). Dry with a clean microfibre cloth. Finish drying on a rack.

Cheap, effective .... Time consuming.

Borats Baby wrote:

topoxforddoc wrote:
Jeff,

Buy a cheap Record cleaning machine - an Okki Nokki, Moth or whatever.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Jeff,

400 quid for a new RCM is a pittance compared to the cost of your system. Some people spend that on one cable. My RCM has paid for itself handsomely. Most weeks, I go to my local second hand record store and come back with a number of LPs at 50p each. A quick clean and they're almost all fine. The ones with damaged grooves get consigned to the scrapheap, but over 80% of what I buy gets rejuvenated on my Moth RCM.

Charlie

www.charlie-chan.co.uk

bigdur wrote:

I'd advise against spraying a cleaner on and wiping it off with a cloth, it wont properly clean the disk and will no doubt leave a load of shite behind too

Cannot for the life of me see how this works by spraying a chemical onto the disc,then rubbing excisting shite into the grooves.

Emma Royd wrote:

bigdur wrote:

Cannot for the life of me see how this works by spraying a chemical onto the disc,then rubbing excisting shite into the grooves.

It doesn't .... that's why it needs to be rinsed off wth distilled before drying.