Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hixy

tv reception

28 posts in this topic

TV reception ispretty good- [i]most of the time[/i], However, when the gas boiler is kicking in/out the picture freezes and nothing works, screen displays "NO SIGNAL". :grrr:

Same thing happens when plugging in/out the transformer for the christmas tree lights, transformer on the (dimmer type) table lamp and/or almost any other appliance - virtually anywhere in the house. This morning. my wife unplugged my (switched off at the socket) HiFi amp from the wall andthe TVinstantly froze? How does that happen? :shock:

I have tried a (Furman PL8) power conditioner to run the TV and Digibox, but it makes no, or little, difference. I also use two"Campaign Audio Design" plug in (wall)[i]Suppressors[/i] (I think that`s what they call them) - they do nothing to help either. :?

We are in a weak signal area and I use a signal booster for the aerial. The house is fifteen years old and built by Wimpey.

My questions are:

Is this going to be improved by boosting the signal further? (cheap solution)

Is it solely a mains problem? (better mains conditioner required)

Would a dedicated mains supply from the consumer unit solve it? (expensive, but maybe apossibility)

Any suggestions appreciated before going down the dedicated supply route.

Thanks,

Paul

Hi there, Shaun here, I've joined because I've been looking for an informative, friendly HiFi site to join up to for a while, I remember reading this forum a couple of years back before I bought my system. I'm not sure if I'll have much input on subjects but hey ho ;)

Had my current system a couple of years and to be honest I won't be upgrading for a long time, until I can afford some new speakers probably.

I'm actually looking for a new rack but something inexpensive, I can't seem to find those little 2 shelf units everyone seems to have, I'm a little bored of the look of my 5 shelf thing from the 80's.

Merry Christmas everyone :)

[b]Jezzer wrote: [/b][quote]I'm currently listening to Uusitalo's Tulenkantaja. Rather good in an electro dub stylee (or whatever this genre of electronic music might be)
[/quote]

Been meaning to pull this ou and have anothe rlisten since you made that post... it's on now, better than I remember :)

do check out his vladislav delay stuff (and also moritz von oswald trio) which is very different but very good indeed

[b]travisty wrote: [/b][quote]The cart is a Fidelity Research FR-7f - works quite well with the SME, as does a Sony XL55Pro.[/quote]
Nice, did you ever use the Denon arm that came with the dp-100m?

ncdrawl wrote:
[quote][b]montesquieu wrote: [/b][quote]Yes but who are the performers, and what are they playing?[/quote]

bit of an odd question in that these labels have so many recordings.... the information re performers and pieces are all readily available on the label respective websites.  the labels all focus on classical music.  (save for stockfish which does other things as well)

or was that some sort of rhetorical/philosophical query??? if you by posing such a question were in essence questioning my motives,,,ie thinking maybe I place more importance on sonics?

if that be the case, no. many of these performances are world class with fantastic performances.

but I am not some sort of elitist snob in that I have to have XXX's rendition of Goldberg variations....  or YYYYs take on Dichterliebe..

i guess i am a bit of an elitist sound wise in that I cannot and [b]will not[/b] suffer miserable sound just to hear a particular dead pianist/violinist/singer blah blah blah.

there are thousands of incredible musicians out there. time marches on. :^

[/quote]

yes in deed i mostly agree with your points , very nice to see a list of record labels that seem to care , so i will look in to some of these , good on you , also lets not forget whatever the care is taken it mostly ends up getting crammed in to 16 bit disks, what ever up samploing or sleeve guff they try to sell us , , and if you went in to many studioes and said you wanted to record in 16 bit i should imagine many nowadays wouldnt have you in the door.

i remeber the move from 16 bit adat recorder to 20 bit was like a huge step up in quality .

please also look out meridian records in the uk , they seem to like good quality true recordings .

i got a few and they are ok .

also prehaps the russ andrews big mic thingy!!!!!

you can get his cds from the ra site , i am told they are mostly all right .

i am always looking towards new artists if i can get hold of them .

regards
lowendall
i have a few meridian tracks happy to do swopps for anything interesting ,
in the jazz world look out for julian argueielles tenor sax , and also mike walker guitar ,
actually lots of good up artists not very well known, saddly,

laowendall .

[b]wammer wrote: [/b][quote][b]Marthas dad wrote: [/b][quote]And a special thanks to Teddy for facilitating the challenge of getting a very heavy Viva preamp from a night club owner in New York to North Carolina and onwards to me in a village outside of Cambridge. I promised Teddy i'd post a pic - it's the one on the top of the maple board plus 300B power supply to the left.

[color="red"][size="4"]Teddy even made a wooden box to ship it in - but customs liked the box so much they kept it and just sent on the amp. Go figure[/size][/color]!

Thanks NCDrawl :)

[/quote]
They always keep his boxes ;-) one of the customs guys is his contact on this side of the pond for his other imports :)[/quote]

:D shhh. :zip:;-)

MD, It was a pleasure helping you, Sir. My time with the VIVA, though brief, was special. Special bit of kit you have, Sir.

:)